Left here for archival purposes.

By moerbeimaster
#17733 Thought I should share my zombie finding:

After reading 100’s of forums on the NodeMCU Zombie issue after deepsleep wake-up, and myself spending many, many late nights on this problem, it seems I resolved my own issue…….hope it could be of help to others too.

I also struggled with the instable state that sometimes occur after deepsleep. I also experienced the semi-brick state occasionally where a factory standard AT firmware flash was required to start over.

I tried different firmware. Tried all the best practices on pull-up resistors. Tried WiFi disconnect and some funny proposals on random delays before activating deep sleep…..nothing was truly working.

What did however work on my setup: ESP8266 -01 connected via FT232RL USB To Serial 232 running ESPlorer, flashing with ESP8266Flasher NodeMCU 0.9.5 was:
Dump the USB tool’s 3.3V supply and used a 12V Pb-Acid regulated with LM1117 3.3v Regulator with 10uF cap on 3.3V line. It seems like these chips are EXTREMELY sensitive to VCC during startup. I am sure many other supplies could also work, I just opted for the most stable and clean supply I had at hand. After seeing the stability improvement I verified by swapping back to USB’s 3.3V supply and the zombie state re-appeared. Using a clean 3.3CV supply I have cycled through 3000 Wake-up, post to internet, deepsleep routines since last night without missing a single beat .

Hope this can help to allow us to spend time on more important issues.
By GeorgeIoak
#17793 I'm finding somewhat similar results with my ESP-12 running Lua. I'm finding that it's not so much stability of Vcc (although that obviously is important) but I'm not getting any consistent results if Vcc is less than 3.3V. I thought at first it was my circuit but I switched to Agilent bench power supply today and confirmed that bootup was extremely unreliable with Vcc less than 3.3V.

I'm tempted to pop the RF shield can off and see what the circuit looks like on these modules. Does anyone happen to know someone who has already done that?