Post your best Lua script examples here

By Peter
#6418 Thanks all to the great LUA firmware and the examples here!

I modified some examples for a :
- counter of electric meter MT174 (one impulse to low via LED per 1 Wh, impuls lenght is 20 ms) connected to GPIO 0
- counter of gas meter (one impuls with reed contact per 0.01m³) connected to GPIO 2
-webserver with output:
Up time [s]: 32348
NODE.HEAP : 7440
El. counter [Wh]: 1527
Gas counter [0.01m³]: 113
-UDP broadcast at every event with the actual data.

Code: Select all---------------
-- install a webserver
-- Use as : httpserver()
httpserver = function ()
  srv=net.createServer(net.TCP)
  srv:listen(80,function(conn)
     conn:on("receive", function(conn,payload)
          --print(payload)
               conn:send('HTTP/1.1 200 OK\r\n Content-type: text/html\r\n\r\n\
<!DOCTYPE HTML>\
<html>\
<head><meta  content="text/html; charset=utf-8">\
<title>ESP8266 Smart meter</title>\
</head><body>\
Up time [s]: ' .. upseconds .. '<BR>\
NODE.HEAP  : ' .. node.heap() .. '<BR>\
El. counter [Wh]: ' .. ecounter .. '<BR>\
Gas counter [0.01m³]: ' .. gcounter .. '<BR>\
</body></html>'
               )
          end)
     conn:on("sent",function(conn) conn:close() end)
     end)
  print("httpserver installed. Browse to ")
  print(wifi.sta.getip())
end

tLastEl=0
ecounter=0
function IntElectric(level)
     if level==1 then return end -- only level 0
     if  (tmr.now()<tLastEl) or  (tmr.now()-tLastEl > 200000) then -- only 1x per 0.2 sec, or overflow of tmr.now
          tLastEl=tmr.now()
          ecounter=ecounter+1
          print('GPIO0/El.:' .. ecounter .. ' Level:' .. level)
          SendUDP()
     end         
end

tLastGas=0
gcounter=0
function IntGas(level)
     if level==1 then return end --only level 0
     if  upseconds-tLastGas >= 2 then -- only 1x per 2sec
          tLastGas=upseconds
          gcounter=gcounter+1
          print('GPIO0/Gas:' .. gcounter .. ' Level:' .. level)
          SendUDP()
     end         
end

function InitGPIO()
  -- Count GPIO at level change to 0
  -- set GPIO0 to Interrupt mode and define interrupt procedure
  gpio.mode(3,gpio.INT,gpio.PULLUP)
  gpio.trig(3, "down", IntElectric)
  -- set GPIO2 to Interrupt mode and define interrupt procedure
  gpio.mode(4,gpio.INT,gpio.PULLUP)
  gpio.trig(4, "down", IntGas)
end

lastsend=0 -- contain upsecond of last send, if -1 if send is in progress
function SendUDP()
     if lastsend < 0 then return end -- no reentrent call
     if upseconds-lastsend >= 1 then --send only 1 per second
          lastsend=-1 -- no reentrent call
          conn=net.createConnection(net.UDP, 0)
          conn:connect(15000,"255.255.255.255")
          s= 'up=' .. upseconds .. ';heap=' .. node.heap() .. ';E=' .. ecounter .. ';G=' .. gcounter
          conn:send(s)
          conn:close()
          print('Broadcast send:' .. s)
          lastsend=upseconds
     end
end

-- MAIN
InitGPIO()

wifi.setmode(wifi.STATION)
wifi.sta.config('AP','password') --<< set your data
ServerCreated=false
upseconds=0
-- wait until get IP and timer for system up time in second (tmr.now overflow after 2^31 us = 35.8 min
tmr.alarm(0,1000, 1, function()
     upseconds = upseconds+1
     if not ServerCreated then 
          if wifi.sta.getip()==nil then
               print("Connect AP, Waiting...")
          else     
               httpserver()
               ServerCreated=true
          end
   end
end)

The UDP broadcast can received with an UDP client (i.e TCP/UDP Terminal from play store: set to UDP and incoming Port to 15000) or the C# code:
Code: Select allusing System;
using System.Text;
using System.Net;
using System.Net.Sockets;
class Program
{
    const int port = 15000;
    static UdpClient udp= new UdpClient(port);
    static IPEndPoint ep = new IPEndPoint(IPAddress.Any, port);
    static void Main(string[] args)
    {
        udp.BeginReceive(Receive,null);
        Console.WriteLine("Started listening at Port " + port + ". Press any key to exit");
        Console.ReadKey();
        udp.Close();
    }
    private static void Receive(IAsyncResult ar)
    {
        byte[] buffer = udp.EndReceive(ar, ref ep);
        Console.WriteLine("{0} {1}:{2} ", DateTime.Now, ep.Address.ToString(), Encoding.UTF8.GetString(buffer));
        udp.BeginReceive(Receive, null);
    }
}
By gwizz
#6431 Great example, thanks for sharing!

Just out of interest - is this code for a project of yours? And if so, how will you power the device?

I was wondering what would be involved in getting the module to sleep in-between readings?

In my applications, I am using battery power, and already I am starting to worry about the drain from full-fat wifi rather than the lightweight rf protocols I've been using in the past.
By Peter
#6443 The project is for me to record the electrical and gas consumption. I have the free ESXi server in a NUC i3 with a debian machine with nagios, samba and some other server.
The broadcast data should get a Nagios plugin, which store the data in the rrd databases.
I use a simple USB charger. In the USB cable I inserted a SMD 3.3V regulator TS1117 (with 2 10µF Tantal, one SMD, one normal between pins 1&3,1&2) inside a shrink tubing.
I don't use a sleep modus. It is possible to wake up from a GPIO event 1->0 ?
But the total power is only 0.2W - hope my Watt meter is measuring the small value correct.
In contrast to the permanent ~8W NUC i3 & ~8W for DSL/Voip-Router it is negligible.

I'm very impressed from the very good WiFi sensitivity of the ESP modules. My Android devices (Note 3 & TF700) have no WiFi connection in the basement room with reinforced concrete slab.
The ESP-01 has at least 1Mbit/s. An other ESP-05 with external Wifi Antenna from an old router has over 10 Mbit/s.
By gwizz
Peter wrote:The project is for me to record the electrical and gas consumption. I have the free ESXi server in a NUC i3 with a debian machine with nagios, samba and some other server.
The broadcast data should get a Nagios plugin, which store the data in the rrd databases.

Very cool - I hope you'll be able to share the plugin if you are developing it with an open source licence?

Peter wrote:I use a simple USB charger. In the USB cable I inserted a SMD 3.3V regulator TS1117 (with 2 10µF Tantal, one SMD, one normal between pins 1&3,1&2) inside a shrink tubing.

Sounds very neat and compact

Peter wrote:I don't use a sleep modus. It is possible to wake up from a GPIO event 1->0 ?

I don't know, because I refuse to sign some ********* NDA to read the datasheet for a chip which I bought!! :x
Ridiculousness - what is the point?!? Well I suppose it has shown us that to be a good reverse engineer you need to be an excellent forward one!! So we have some very talented engineers in here :D

Peter wrote:But the total power is only 0.2W - hope my Watt meter is measuring the small value correct.
In contrast to the permanent ~8W NUC i3 & ~8W for DSL/Voip-Router it is negligible.

Yup - unless you are on batteries you wouldn't really think about it, but if you are, then you have to think about it.

And also - if your code gets taken and very widely deployed then the small savings really do add up - a hundred milliwatts or so times by a few million devices perhaps - then you could save a megawatt or so!!

Peter wrote:I'm very impressed from the very good WiFi sensitivity of the ESP modules. My Android devices (Note 3 & TF700) have no WiFi connection in the basement room with reinforced concrete slab.

The ESP-01 has at least 1Mbit/s. An other ESP-05 with external Wifi Antenna from an old router has over 10 Mbit/s.

Yes - good to hear another report of these things excellent sensitivity. And also that the external antenna makes a difference.