Post your best Lua script examples here

By rjhllr
#24678 Hey,
I'm currently writing a code to drive an LED strip using PWM and MOSFETs (IRLZ34N).
I've chosen to go with UDP for the server (obvious choice, we don't need connections, acknowledged packets and what else - losing one packet won't be a big deal and probably won't happen).
One more thing as to why connections aren't needed: it's going to be controlled by an Android application I've put together which features a color wheel, so there will be plenty changes and being "one stop" off won't even be noticeable.

This application sends an UDP packet whenever the color is changed to the IP specified in the settings in the format "R,G,B" so for example "124,255,10" to represent this color.
The LUA code (untested, since my circuit is not complete yet and I need to resolder two pins on my ESP-07 - asking for review here!)
Code: Select allwifi.sta.config("redacted","redacted")
wifi.sta.connect()
-- Wait for the Connection
tmr.alarm(1,1000, 1, function()
   if wifi.sta.getip()==nil then
      print(" Wait to IP address!")
   else
      -- Connected to WiFi
      print("New IP address is "..wifi.sta.getip())
      tmr.stop(1)
      -- pins of the RGB strip according to:
      -- https://github.com/nodemcu/nodemcu-firmware/wiki/nodemcu_api_en#new_gpio_map
      redPin     = 4
      greenPin = 6
      bluePin   =  5
      -- PWM frequency - adjust if LED flickers or PWM doesn't look linear
      pwmFreq = 250
      -- set up pins as PWM pins
      pwm.setup(redPin, pwmFreq, 0)
      pwm.setup(greenPin, pwmFreq, 0)
      pwm.setup(bluePin, pwmFreq, 0)
      -- start PWM output on the pins (effectively no light yet)
      pwm.start(redPin)
      pwm.start(greenPin)
      pwm.start(bluePin)
      -- create UDP server to listen for our color changes
      srv = net.createServer(net.UDP);
      srv:on("receive",function(cu,msg)
         -- we expect the packet in "R,G,B" format
         -- thus use the split function from our functions file (similar to php explode, returning an array)
         red, green, blue = msg:match("([^,]+),([^,]+),([^,]+)")
         pwm.setDuty(redPin, red*4);
         pwm.setDuty(greenPin, green*4);
         pwm.setDuty(bluePin, blue*4);
      end)

end
   end)

I've chosen to use three separate values for each pin and it's colors since it's easier and doesn't make a difference lines-of-code wise (easiest readable loop over an array is three lines so I feel like my style is more concise than using an array, but it's an edge case).
I've used the "wait for WiFi connection" code I found in this board,
By kaneda
#26145 Hello.

I'm trying something similar but I don't seem to get the UDP server working in LUA. It seems the callback function defined in the on:receive statement is never actually called. Has anyone actually managed to successfully call a function upon UDP server packet reception?
Is the code you posted complete? I don't seem to find the listen() call with the corresponding port where you will be listening?

Thanks in advance.