Left for archival purposes.

By LEDAero
#15681 If oyu think Neopixel libraries are cool, you really want to have a look at FASTLed - the guys there are very knowledgeable and very helpful: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities ... 4227823508

http://fastled.io/

https://github.com/FastLED/FastLED

They have been talking about an integration with ESP - drop them (Mark and Daniel) a line. I'm sure they will be interested in what you have done.
By andrew melvin
#15807 Cheers,

I think i tried to compile FASTled on the arduino ESP IDE, but it did not work. That stuff is even more intense...

Thanks to Markus i now have my mood lighting... :)

Had to re-work the adafruit implementations though to get rid of the for loops.. which block the loop...
now everything is done using simple timer objects... works like a treat!

My only thing is that sometimes the first LED is a bit twitchy.... not consistently... any ideas markus?
By Speshal
#15825 Cheers for this Andrew, great work, exactly what I want to be able to do :) but I am a coding luddite!

If I crack my whip hard enough and/or promise to buy you a beer could you let me know if you manage to implement a webserver for this as that would be awesome and help me out a great deal, I want to mount some WS2812 inside a sign, have it run the rainbow cycle from the adafruit strandtest and then to be able to pick a colour via my phone. (ideally have Markus' page with a pattern and speed button below the black bar!)

andrew melvin wrote:My only thing is that sometimes the first LED is a bit twitchy.... not consistently... any ideas markus?

Do you have a capacitor across gpio0 and gnd? this can help :)
By andrew melvin
#15844 haha, no problem.

I do have a web server. I've got a whole folder of arduino into files that I've bashed together to give me a module base type thing. From this I can configure wifi, give it a name, enable/disable MQTT... it falls back to AP-mode when there it is not connected... and all settings are saved to EEPROM... so far i've designed a sous-vide, a humidifier/heater for a vivarium, a relay power switch...

but there are two issues...

The first is that the code is a mess, its all over the place. I'm very new to this, and definitely the rush to get it working, but not taking care, so i have loads of includes that are not necessary, global variables all over the place that are not needed / only used once... its a mess.... but... it works... the ESP is so forgiving, as I still have over 20K heap most of the time, unless i hit refresh constantly...

The second is what is stopping me is that there are a few libs, that i've added functions to that my project now depends on. mainly a hacked together EEPROMutils lib, that can store and retrieve doubles... but it would be tricky to supply a load of libraries as well...

I think that it would be a bit early for me to dump this stuff out in the wild... I can maybe upload the binaries, as they will just work. You will have to use MQTT though, as there is no web page, yet for the ws2812... that would be quite easy to implement though actually... i just use them to control it.