Chat about current Lua tools and IDEs

By ChrixXenon
#6677 I have just downloaded ESPlorer v0.1 206 on Windows Vista, and find a problem immediately.

I have a tiny lua file, init.lua:
print("Hi Chris")

-- dofile("WebPulse.lua")

If I use Hari Wiguna's Lua Uploader it uploads and executes fine.
If I use ESPlorer to "Send to ESP" is uploaded and it runs, but ESPlorer then times out "Wating answer from ESP - Timeout reached. Send aborted".
If I use ESPlorer to "Save to ESP" Lua reports a syntax error:

"PORT OPEN 9600
Hi Chris> Hi Chris> > >> > Hi Chris
> >> >> >> stdin:2: '=' expected near 'dofile'

The dofile is commented out, so this shouldn't happen?

Furthermore, if I now go back to Hari's Lua Uploader, I find the file init.lua has been damaged. Both lines now appear on a single line.
If I hex dump the file, I see the previous 0a0d (CR, LF) has been repleced by 0a0a (2 CRs).

Anyone else seen this, and seen how to avoid it? Am I donig something wrong?
I'd like to use ESPlorer because it offers more features and will run on my Linux box too, but right now it's worthless to me.

Thanks, Chris
By papagenic
#6698 hello,

I have run into this problem before, and usually, disconnecting and reconnecting the usb serial adapter and resetting the eps8266 allows me to get around it.
However, when transferring a file, the transfer ends sucessfully, but I still get this "stdin ..." error message at the end. nevertheless, providing the message occur after "done" is displayed, it seems to bear no consequence (well, euh, I believe so). It would be nice though to see this problem fixed.
By Aonko
#6701 I have had the same issue as well. It seems to happen (at least for me) when I write a script that produces an infinite loop or throws multiple lua interpreter errors, it seems the processor is too busy and just becomes non-responsive to commands. It could also be unable to close the current init.lua file it's processing and therefore unable to overwrite the old one, not really sure which. Unlike papagenic, rebooting/disconnecting doesn't seem to help, also I've haven't used any other script loader. What I did to fix the issue was reflash the firmware to the device using the nodemcu esp8266 flash tool, after that ESPlorer worked without any issue. it does reoccur if I cause the infinite loop/non-responsive issue again, which can't be good for the flash memory.
By 4refr0nt
ChrixXenon wrote:I have just downloaded ESPlorer v0.1 206 on Windows Vista, and find a problem immediately.

By default, ESPlorer used new experimental "Turbo mode" for uploading files.
Please, go to "Settings" tab, uncheck "Turbo mode" and try again.
Also, you can use "Dumb mode" (on "Settings" tab too)