Chat about current Lua tools and IDEs

By adoconnection
#58291 Right, but first of all there has to be a problem.

If community feels fine uploading code to wifi module over wires, then no online IDE will ever takeoff.
For me it is totally wrong to program wifi module over wires. Its like having a car but walking 3 miles from home to garage every time you want to go somewhere :)

The major difference between NodeLua and EspSky is that you don't have to use any special firmware.
You always take latest NodeMCU build with watever modules and just put there a single lua file to establish connection. Isn't it great?

Also you can put one lua file to your existing nodemcu and instantly be able to program it without wires.
By marcelstoer
adoconnection wrote:Right, but first of all there has to be a problem.

Not sure I understand. There already is a problem.

You started what looks like a really cool and promising project. However, in order for it to take off you need trust. If you want people to program their IoT nodes in your online IDE and have them add your Lua script to their nodes people need to trust you. A really quick way to gain developers' trust is by showing them the code you expect them to run or use.

Furthermore, I already know two people who'd potentially be interested in contributing code to your project - if it were open-source...

adoconnection wrote:For me it is totally wrong to program wifi module over wires. Its like having a car but walking 3 miles from home to garage every time you want to go somewhere :)

:D Nice analogy. I wouldn't say it's wrong but it's definitely inconvenient. It's a particular challenge for those who have to update more than just a few self-managed IoT nodes around the house.

adoconnection wrote:The major difference between NodeLua and EspSky is that you don't have to use any special firmware.

Yep, that'd be a real no-go.
By adoconnection
marcelstoer wrote:There already is a problem.

I mean, if there is a problem, why NodeLua did not takeoff and got abandoned? And no one contributed 2 years. This is very unclear for me. And sounds like there is actually no big problem. Inconvenient, yes, but people can live with it.

I'm open source fan. This tool will be open source for sure. No worries!

At this point it is bad idea to put your home water pump and fire detectors under EspSky control since connection is not yet secure and messages are not digitally signed. :)

So I'm waiting for some kind of signal, to see whether people will use it or not.