Chat about current Lua tools and IDEs

By owensv
#62223 Hi, guys - I am new to this ESP environment, so bear with me if this has already been answered somewhere. The material is a bit overwhelming, but I've made significant progress. I have to date successfully downloaded Espressif's sample AT bin files using their provided flash tool, which I find adequate and flexible enough, and I understand what is going on. I now want to program the NodeMCU code binary, which I generated using a cloud build service I am sure most here are familiar with.

So, now I have this NodeMCU binary to get into my ESP8266, presumably replacing the AT code (I am using the ESP Launcher board, which I think is one of their newer dev boards). I have tried placing the bin file in what I believe to be the user application area starting at memory location 0x01000, then tried 0x0... I just can't get it to be recognized when I try to connect with it to load a Lua script (I am using the ESPlorer tool to work with Lua. I I found it in a tutuorial: http://randomnerdtutorials.com/esp8266-web-server/).

I would appreciate any helpful tips on getting this last piece to work. I think I am close, but just don't yet understand the nuts and bolts well enough to figure out what I am doing wrong. Is this single binary file all I need, or do I need to preserve the boot sector, memory area above the application...? etc.) Thanks
By marcelstoer
owensv wrote:...the NodeMCU code binary, which I generated using a cloud build service...

That service sent you an email which contains a prominent like to https://nodemcu.readthedocs.io/en/latest/en/flash/ which has all the answers to your questions.

TL;DR
- Run NodeMCU PyFlasher to flash the binary
- Start ESPlorer (or alternative) and connect to device at 115'200 bps
By aterocana
#65281 Can I ask also the locations of certificates? I used make_cacert.py and make_cert.py from NONOS tools to generate binaries from server certificate (server.bin) and client cerficate+key (client.bin). I don't get in which location I have to flash them. Any suggestion? Thanks.