Chat about current Lua tools and IDEs

By hobby_guy
#93497 Thanks for the advice :)
I tried Quad I/O (--flash_mode qio) but the exact same thing happens: The flash process succeeds (even verifies the checksum OK) but rebooting gives "csum err":

Code: Select all[00]
 ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,7)

load 0x40100000, len 27444, room 16
tail 4
chksum 0xef
load 0x00000000, len 0, room 4
tail 0
chksum 0xef
ho 12 tail 0 room 4
load 0x00000000, len 0, room 12
tail 0
chksum 0xef
csum 0xef
csum err
ets_main.c

I'm used to embedded/electronics being difficult, but is this normally this hard to achieve? The setup I'm using (per an Instructable) is:

TXD -> RXD on USB/Serial unit
CHPD -> 3.3V
RST: unconnected
VCC -> 3.3V
GND -> GND
GP2: unconnected
GP0 -> GND
RXD -> TXD on USB/Serial unit

Does this look correct? The USB/Serial unit is powered from USB, so it's running at 5V. Is this a problem for comms between usb/serial (PC) and the ESP?
By hobby_guy
I installed esptool.py and PyFlasher GUI, and was able to install the NodeMCU variant I built at https://nodemcu-build.com Since I don't believe I have any very special needs, I went with the default modules included:

file, GPIO, net, node, timer, UART, WiFi

Could it be that this is, in fact, not resulting in a compatible NodeMCU binary? For the simple "hello world" (blinkenlights) project I'm attempting, I expect I should have quite basic module requirements.
By quackmore
but is this normally this hard to achieve?

haha, it will look like trivial once you'll figure it out...

I'm running short of ideas and unfortunately I cannot replicate your setup

according to the docs, the default nodemcu build should be fine with the ESP-01 1 MB
but
if you wanna avoid an headache you could try to move to a different device such as a cheap wemos d1 mini
your setup will reduce to just the device and a usb cable and you will have a 4 MB flash available
that will allow you to get some confidence with ESPlorer, lua and nodemcu (maybe also cloning the github repository and starting configuring and building yourself your binaries)

meanwhile you can focus on properly flashing your ESP-01 devices, trying to restore the at-commands firmware, cause you know that it has to work for sure
that means you will have to google for more information (finding the right binaries, the correct esptool command and parameters) or open a new post specifically referring to the ESP-01 flashing setup and process

at the end you should be able to merge both your experiences and get what you want