Chat about current Lua tools and IDEs

By scargill
#3595 Enjoying the Lua interpreter and sick of Putty and Coolterm, I finally wrote my own Serial terminal for Windows and I've done a blog about it this morning. I wrote it for me but if it works for you - you're welcome - been grafting on it this morning - spending way too much time - but hey, compared to the efforts other people have put into getting these little boards working... it's nothing.

So this simple serial Windows terminal will strip comments, strip whitespace, add file wrappers around your code as needed etc etc, there's a help button and the blog provides more info. Enjoy.

http://scargill.wordpress.com/2014/11/30/esp8266-lua-editing-tool/
By gerardwr
#3600 Excellent, but as a Mac user of little use for myself ;) How about migrating to to Python, that works unders Windows and Mac.

Kidding aside, I know how much time such a development takes, so ….. cheers to you!

About the "strip comments, strip whitespace" I have the same comment as on the previous version of luatool:
If you eliminate lines from the original file, and the execution of the lines throws an error it will refer to a confusing line-number. Hampers debugging quite bit.

Just a thought.

Going to check your blog now.
By Erni
#3609 Thanks for sharing scargill
I would like to try it but I can't unzip the tool when I download it.
Did you use some special zipping ?
I use ZipGenius, it usually works OK
By FeK9
Erni wrote:Thanks for sharing scargill
I would like to try it but I can't unzip the tool when I download it.
Did you use some special zipping ?
I use ZipGenius, it usually works OK

Hi Erni...

Had a similar problem getting scargill's terminal working from his dropbox link.

I had to create a dropbox account to get it installed on my local Laptop.

@scargill, I like the simplicity of your terminal and it's interface with Lua & esp8266... Thx :)