Current Lua downloadable firmware will be posted here

By Labmaster
#62591 Hi Guys,

i just run into a problem using nodemcu-build.com to get a firmware image.

At 31 of January i have used nodemcu-build.com to build a firmware with the following modules:
(Master)
bit, cjson, crypto, enduser_setup, file, gpio, http, mdns, net, node, ow, struct, tmr, uart, websocket, wifi, ws2812, tls

The resulting image had a filesize of 481KByte (integer) / 494KByte (float) and was runing since then on a ESP-01 with 512KByte Flash.

As i had to reflash my ESP-01, i just tried to get a fresh rebuild image of the same type (as i lost that one form the 31 January)
Now when i let build the Image with exactly the same configuration (as on January) the image has a size of 614KByte (integer) / 628KByte (float) and so does not fit onto my ESP-01 having only 512KByte Flash onboard.

As quick workaround i then tried to reduce the included modules but unfortunately (at least having the real needed ones) i never got below the size to fit on the ESP-01 anymore.

I guess they have changed some compileroptions ??

Any sugestions ?

BTW:
It took me hours to find out that the problem during the flash process was (not USB, cabling, power .... but ) the imagesize, as during the flash process (using NODEMCU FiRMWARE PROGRAMMER) the only thing that got writen in the log was:
Error:Write flash timeout.

Best Regards,
WM
By marcelstoer
Labmaster wrote:Now when i let build the Image with exactly the same configuration....[...] I guess they have changed some compileroptions ??

Nope, your configuration may still be the same but the code this configuration is applied against has of course moved on since then. Particularly, on February 2nd a new "release" based on Espressif SDK 2.0 was pushed to the master branch: https://github.com/nodemcu/nodemcu-firmware/releases and https://github.com/nodemcu/nodemcu-firmware#releases

Labmaster wrote:It took me hours to find out that the problem during the flash process was (not USB, cabling, power .... but ) the imagesize, as during the flash process (using NODEMCU FiRMWARE PROGRAMMER) the only thing that got writen in the log was:

Have you tried with a different tool as well e.g. NodeMCU PyFlasher?
By Labmaster
marcelstoer wrote:....
Labmaster wrote:It took me hours to find out that the problem during the flash process was (not USB, cabling, power .... but ) the imagesize, as during the flash process (using NODEMCU FiRMWARE PROGRAMMER) the only thing that got writen in the log was:

Have you tried with a different tool as well e.g. NodeMCU PyFlasher?

Yes, but it is definately the code size that is much bigger now and does not fit into 512KByte Flash anymore .
You can try it yourself, you can barely build a flashimage including a set of modules (at least including the important modules) that is below 500KByte !
So it seems there is no more option to use the build tool for devices with only 512Kbyte Flash onboard.

Thanks and best regards,
WM
By rvowles
#63307 The best way would be to clone the github repository, rewind the repository to that date, update the user-config to specify the build options and then use the docker build image to make your own.

Either that or ifi marcel has open sourced his website, then you could offer the patch to allow people to choose a SHA from where to build from.