Current Lua downloadable firmware will be posted here

By devsaurus
#56857 dev branch contains a couple of enhancements that should help you with 8 MByte modules. I haven't tried it yet myself (lack of hardware), but I'd expect that all you need for flashing a recent build from dev branch is (-fm qio might work as well):

Code: Select allesptool.py <COM port option> erase_flash
esptool.py <COM port option> write_flash -fm dio 0x00000 <new_fw_from_dev>.bin

Note that it's neither required to set the flash size (64m in your case) nor to flash esp_init data. That should all be handled automatically by the firmware upon first startup after flashing. Key point is to erase the flash beforehand.
By KevinA
#56878 I'm game: where is the 'dev' branch? I visited https://github.com/themadinventor/esptool and there appears to be two releases and no dev version.
I did find my screw-up on the dev-kit install, seems python 2.7x was installed on D:\Python27 and the dev-kit sets it to c:\python27
By KevinA
#56883 Picture if you would, a man sitting in a room with no window, the walls, ceiling and floor are white. Outside the room a nurse and doctor are watching the man staring at the wall "Doctor, why doesn't his eyes blink" the nurse ask, the doctor replied "They found him in his computer room, staring at three 40" monitors. The monitors had over 2,500 open Google search windows and all of them were related to a device called ESP8266. We believe this is one of many related cases occurring now around the world all caused by a company called Espressif and their inability to produce a document with actual technical information. The company claims they are restrained by IP property laws and are being forced to be vague if not misleading at times which leaves developers second guessing what is real and or not real. While one developer speculates about a process a dozen others have their method and they all post to the Internet for Google to weed through leaving others searching for answers constantly trying to grasp how something could possibly work a dozen different ways. No, this is an addictive behavior that will be known as Espressoholic Syndrome and we better inform Homeland Security, if this keeps up there will be no nerds left to blame when our phones screw up."