Current Lua downloadable firmware will be posted here

By 1flx
#56007 Hi!

I'm trying to run NodeMCU on a Wemos D1 Mini Pro, the successor of the D1 Mini, with 16mb of flash and a few other updates. Using it with Arduino works fine, I can't use more than the first 4mb of flash, but that's fine for the time being. With NodeMCU, however, no luck so far.

Here's what I tried:

Code: Select allesptool.py --port /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART --baud 115200 write_flash --flash_size=32m -fm dio 0x0 /Users/felix/Downloads/nodemcu-master-7-modules-2016-10-03-10-57-24-integer.bin  0x3fc000 esp_flasher/esp_init_data_default.bin

But all I'm getting is a boot loop with the LED pulsating at about 0.8 pulses a second or so (i.e. the LED is on for almost a second, then goes off for an instant, then back on); that in itself is unexpected, on previous flashing failures I got a much faster pulsating than that. On the serial console, I get an eternal torrent of garbage, like

Code: Select allÏ..Ï..lé..l....åúúåúúåúúåúúl`.åléÏé..å..åléÏér.å..åéúåép.åép.åép.åéúåé..å..åléÏér..l....åúúåúúåúúåúúåúúåúúåúúå.‚.åúúåúúåúúåúúåúúåúúåúúl`.êåéåép.åép.Ïé..l`.él.åÏ.Ïééåép.Ïé..åééåér.ÏééléúÏé.åéúÏééåér.Ïé..åÏ.åléåééåÏ.å..Ïé.léúåér.Ïé..Ïé..åéúÏé..åÏ.ålél`.å‚Úíp.ÇnnÄl.ll...lébÏé...íål`.rl.lúû|.ål‡|....å.lÏ.b|éÇ.Ï.íríbå.båÚnnûlnnú‚Ï.b.påélrlrlpÚn‡....Ç.l......b.n‚|.åÏl...båÚnnÓ.låél`.ê..nn.é.l..nréíín..

The nodemcu firmware file was obtained from the cloud build service and contains only the modules checked by default (I also tried other firmware files, including some that I use on a few D1 Minis). I tried differend baud rates, no luck either. The esp_init_data_default.bin should be recent enough, I downloaded this particular version just a week or so ago. The esptool.py doesn't support anything beyond 4M of flash, but that's fine with me for the time being, I'm mostly interested in those modules because of the different usb-to-serial chip that seems to be a lot more stable and reliable on my setup than the ubiquitous CH340s.

Any ideas?

Regards
Felix
By 1flx
devsaurus wrote:The command line for flashing looks ok.
You could try to erase the flash chip, wait some moments and flash again:

Code: Select allesptool.py --port /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART erase_flash

esptool.py --port /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART --baud 115200 write_flash ...

Thanks for the suggestion! I just tried that; I waited about a minute after erasing, then ran the above command for flashing again. Now I got a very rapidly pulsating LED (like 10 times or more a second) and another very similar stream of garbage on serial.

One thing I noted, the erase command returned pretty much instantly once a connection was established, is that how it should be?