Current Lua downloadable firmware will be posted here

By AdrianM
#39750 Hi all,
I've just managed to set up a Virtual Machine as described on the Desperate Programmers blog. Mighty Max's instructions are almost spot-on, however there were a couple of missing header files that I had to add (simcall-errno.h, simcall-fcntl.h from ESP8266_RTOS_SDK-master/extra_include/xtensa/ see here) These need to be copied into /opt/xtensa-lx106-elf/lib/gcc/xtensa-lx106-elf/4.8.2/include/xtensa

After doing that, and following the instructions on tailoring the includes for the required modules, I successfully built the nodemcu Lua binaries. So this is something I've not managed until now. So far so good.

Seeing as how I'm doing this so I can create a new Nodemcu User Module, next I wanted to try the simple "Hello World" example. Unfortunately I can't get this simple example to work. One thing I noticed that didn't seem right was not passing L into the lua_pushstring function:

Code: Select allstatic int ICACHE_FLASH_ATTR bonjour_bonjour(lua_State* L) {
{
  lua_pushstring("Bonjour, World!");  //I think this should be lua_pushstring(L, "Bonjour, World!");
  return 1;
}

This cleared up some errors but more errors remain:
Code: Select allbonjour.c:24:1: error: 'used' attribute ignored [-Werror=attributes]
 NODEMCU_MODULE(BONJOUR, "bonjour", bonjour_map, luaopen_bonjour);
 ^
In file included from bonjour.c:1:0:
../include/module.h:55:28: error: section attribute cannot be specified for local variables
     luaL_Reg MODULE_PASTE_(lua_lib_,cfgname) = { luaname, initfunc };

Googling this didn't help me understand the error so I'm hoping someone here might be able to spot the problem(s).

Unfortunately I can't seem to register on the blog site where I found this to post comments to the author.
By AdrianM
#39759 Oh, too obvious. There's one too many braces here:
{
  lua_pushstring("Bonjour, World!");
  return 1;
}

So fix both mistakes and it's fine:
  lua_pushstring(L, "Bonjour, World!");
  return 1;
}