As the title says... Chat on...

By sej7278
#6205 I was going to start developing my Lua app on my linux box, but then a realised that the nodemcu API isn't using real Lua, i guess its a subset of lua with some wrapper functions or something?

Any reason for this - to dumb it down or to fit in flash?

It just seems odd to use a language but not actually use it, its not portable to any other platform. Worse than Arduino's mismash of C/C++

Or perhaps its just the examples and API that are using "node lua", can the interpreter actually execute real lua, like using the IO module instead of file.writeline() or use the String module instead of node.input() ?
By zeroday
sej7278 wrote:I was going to start developing my Lua app on my linux box, but then a realised that the nodemcu API isn't using real Lua, i guess its a subset of lua with some wrapper functions or something?

Any reason for this - to dumb it down or to fit in flash?

It just seems odd to use a language but not actually use it, its not portable to any other platform. Worse than Arduino's mismash of C/C++

Or perhaps its just the examples and API that are using "node lua", can the interpreter actually execute real lua, like using the IO module instead of file.writeline() or use the String module instead of node.input() ?

Hi, NodeMCU is same as Lua 5.1.4 but:
no IO module( cost two much ram)
no OS module
no MATH module
no debug mdoule
can't load library dynamic
but there is a string module. you can use str.xxx same as lua 5.1.4