As the title says... Chat on...

By Sd123
#61025 Hello, I am very new to ESP8266. Can you please guide me in details about how to update the firmware of the ESP8266 to the latest? Actually, I want the SSID of ESP8266 to be hidden and I came across a few articles that say I need the latest firmware for that. I had tried updating the firmware with a software named "Realterm" but couldn't do it successfully. Please help.
By flagtrax
Sd123 wrote:Hello, I am very new to ESP8266. Can you please guide me in details about how to update the firmware of the ESP8266 to the latest? Actually, I want the SSID of ESP8266 to be hidden and I came across a few articles that say I need the latest firmware for that. I had tried updating the firmware with a software named "Realterm" but couldn't do it successfully. Please help.

Welcome to a world of confusion for a newbie :lol: consider me just a bit ahead of where your at, I feel your pain. How to update depends on what firm ware you want to update to as well as what module you are using (the procedures are a bit different for let's say an ESP12 generic module and a Nodemcu board. If you want to use the Arduino IDE there are many web pages with instructions to set up the Arduino IDE with support for the 8266. Word to the wise beware of dated materials. I personally got confused often by referencing old information. This is a fast evolving technology.
By marcelstoer
Sd123 wrote:I am very new to ESP8266. Can you please guide me in details about how to update the firmware of the ESP8266 to the latest?

AFAICT this has nothing to do with the subject of this existing thread. For anyone trying to help out here it's substantially easier if you create a new thread for every issue.

I'd argue that the only resource you really need to learn how to flash the NodeMCU firmware is the official documentation at http://nodemcu.readthedocs.io/en/latest/en/flash/. Furthermore, there's a new GUI flashing tool from yours truly that's not listed there yet.