As the title says... Chat on...

By Doodieb
#7411 How stable is your ESP8266? My Server or client test have shown, that it will only handle a few sends (10-15). The heap is not exhausted, the unit can still be pinged but does not receive or send data anymore.

Does anyone else have similar experiences?
By Doodieb
#7999 OK, here is some news for the ones struggling with stability, too. I am using an ESP-01 and it turns out that the design is not EMC tolerant at all. I could improve stability a lot by:

Adding decoupling capacitors to the power Inputs of the ESP-01
Shielding the whole unit with a small steel box and just leaving the Antenna outside the shield.
Adding a powerful (1.5A) 3V3 power supply
Adding a Level shifter to the RX Inputs so that it can accept 5V signals from an Arduino (even though you can find reports that the ESP-01 will still work with 5V on the RX pin, it causes instability).
Implementing a heartbeat into the protocoll, so that the ESP-01 reboots itself when the heartbeat goes missing.

With these measures I can get decent stability and only few heartbeat reboots.

Have fun!
By amatron
Doodieb wrote:OK, here is some news for the ones struggling with stability, too. I am using an ESP-01 and it turns out that the design is not EMC tolerant at all. I could improve stability a lot by:

Adding decoupling capacitors to the power Inputs of the ESP-01
Shielding the whole unit with a small steel box and just leaving the Antenna outside the shield.
Adding a powerful (1.5A) 3V3 power supply
Adding a Level shifter to the RX Inputs so that it can accept 5V signals from an Arduino (even though you can find reports that the ESP-01 will still work with 5V on the RX pin, it causes instability).
Implementing a heartbeat into the protocoll, so that the ESP-01 reboots itself when the heartbeat goes missing.

With these measures I can get decent stability and only few heartbeat reboots.

Have fun!

Please, share code of
Implementing a heartbeat into the protocoll