As the title says... Chat on...

By wjr
#61063 all right. my ESPlorer says
Code: Select allNodeMCU 2.0.0+wolfgangr build 20170105 powered by Lua 5.1.4 on SDK 1.5.4.1(39cb9a32)

Looks like - after some quirks - I have successfully built a firmware ;-)
lots of debug messages either - nice.
Thou shalt not flash on USB power
Thou shalt erase flash before writing

Questions start raising per dozen now...
- where does the SDK version mismatch come from? Does it hurt? how to fix?
- there seems a DHCP running on the module (at least some of the debug lines say so) - how to get rid of it?

and most important:
- How can I learn to anwer such questions myself?

There is lots of doc around, but most quite unconnected to each other, from different sources where I never know whether it really applies, and most of the end user style "do THIS then THAT will happen".
But I have to know HOW and WHY stuff happens.

- how can I explore the running system under the hood?
- is there a recommended way to get accquainted with the nuts and bolts of the system?
- how can I scrutinize and manipulate system variables from the lua prompt?
I know that the source is the utmost authoritative documentation, but can somebodey please point me where to start?
By devsaurus
- where does the SDK version mismatch come from? Does it hurt? how to fix?

The message suggests that you're using the outdated 1.5.4.1 SDK. Not recommended.

What is the content of your user_version.h file? You probably build from master branch, right? Best switch to dev branch, since it is the branch where all changes go into.
By marcelstoer
wjr wrote:where does the SDK version mismatch come from? Does it hurt? how to fix?

It doesn't look "healthy" i.e. I wouldn't feel confident doing any work on that basis.

Since you managed to build a customised firmware yourself I assume you're familiar with http://nodemcu.readthedocs.io/en/latest/en/build/. Do you build with Docker?

lua.c is responsible for that output

Code: Select alllua_pushliteral (L, "\n" NODE_VERSION " build " BUILD_DATE " powered by " LUA_RELEASE " on SDK ");

The constants are from user_version.h