As the title says... Chat on...

By flagtrax
#33799 The latest thing I'm finding with this (ESP-12E) module is that it seems to drop the wifi connection randomly. Seemingly it happens more often when it sits idle for long periods. The setup and sketch is the same as used with the ESP-7 which would run for days on end, until powered off. Wondering if anyone else is seeing this?

I now have to say I'm totally confused and frustrated. I noticed that when I flashed this module, I flashed the older version of nodemcu, so I decided to reflash it since I was confident as stated earlier that the issues I had were due to a misbehaving breadboard. I hooked it back up with jumpers just as I'd done with the successful flash, and it wouldn't flash. Again with time out error after about 10% completion. So now have to say I'm back to square 1 not knowing why it didn't flash, did flash and now won't flash again......frustrating little module to be sure.
By flagtrax
#44038 Oh geesh, I'm Baaack.... Ok after a few months of doing fun things I decided to re-enter the frustrating world of 8266. I last mentioned that I was having trouble flashing nodeMcu. or anything else for that matter, on an ESP12. I'd successfully flashed an ESP07 but had 2 ESP 12's that would start the process then the flasher would issue a timeout error. I've since recieved 2 more ESP07's but before attempting to flash them, I decided to once again try to flash the ESP12s. No Luck. I tried once again to reflash the ESP07 and "bricked" it too. All modules now have seeming no OS but do respond to Esplorer with a connection and nothing else. To reiterate, I've tried flashing nodeMcu, tried flashing the original AT command OS, and program with arduio ide. I am now wondering how the heck I got the one ESP07 flashed. I have scoured the internet for solutions, and I've seen others with this issue, but resolutions. I'm thinking I've GOT TO BE DOING SOMETHING WRONG but cant for the life of me figure out what it is. Now I'm thinking maybe you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Any help greatly greatly (did I say greatly) appreciated!
By flagtrax
#44116 In an effort to learn this little module, I've tried yet again to flash it several ways. The 2 ESP12 modules are totally uncooperative. The one ESP07 I'm working with wouldn't flash using the FTDI USB/ttl converter. It did however flash using a converter based on the CH340. BUT......when I restarted it in normal mode, it would not respond to commands such as =node.info(), etc. I reverted back to the FTDI converter, and voila it responded. WHY DOES IT FLASH WITH ONE AND NOT THE OTHER AND WHY DOES COMMANDS SEEMINGLY GARBLE ON THE OTHER AFTER IT'S FLASHED?
Can anyone tell me where I might find a table describing the different flash memory configurations of the various modules. For example =node.info()
0 9 6 10295148 1261768 512 2 40000000 tells me the ESP 07 has 512KB of memory (please correct me if I'm wrong). As I recall when I queried the ESP12 before it bricked it reported 4MB. It is my understanding (and again please correct me when I'm wrong) that some of the ESP01-02 types have only 256KB of memory. Since the .bin to flash nodeMcu is ~450KB does that mean that nodeMcu can not be placed on those modules. (Seems as though I've seen a few instructionals to do that. Apparently I'm getting things confused here, and I hope someone can help straighten me out. There is so much information and (mis)information out there as well as old info that no longer applies that for a neophyte it makes it that much tougher.
Thanks
By devsaurus
#44503 Are you still experiencing these issues? If yes, can you please check these items:

For the ESP-7 with 512kB flash this translates to

Code: Select allesptool.py write_flash -fm qio -fs 4m 0x00000 <nodemcu-firmware>.bin 0x7c000 esp_init_data_default.bin 0x7e000 blank.bin

And for the ESP-12 with 4MB flash try

Code: Select allesptool.py write_flash -fm dio -fs 32m 0x00000 <nodemcu-firmware>.bin 0x3fc000 esp_init_data_default.bin 0x3fe000 blank.bin