Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By Samighi11
lethe wrote:No, those are different signals.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-232#Da ... ol_signals

I have a FTDI module that has DTR and CTS only. I am confused as I can't find any FTDI adapter with RST and DTR on it.

I can find various combination, and most that I have have DTR and CTS or CTS and RST, but can't find DTR and RTS as diagrammed.

Can someone help me out and explain this in detail. What is the different (I remember from years ago a DTE DCE device, etc). But this is very confusing. I am anxious to get the FTDIs I have wired directly to the ESP so I can avoid manual or buttons work.

SA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By schufti
#28786 as you can see on my photo there are FTDIs with all wanted signals.

This is an adapter with an FT232RL chip, one serial port and a plethora of additional signals.

It looks like your adapter has 3 serial ports and as tradeoff not all auxilliary signals.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Samighi11
schufti wrote:as you can see on my photo there are FTDIs with all wanted signals.

This is an adapter with an FT232RL chip, one serial port and a plethora of additional signals.

It looks like your adapter has 3 serial ports and as tradeoff not all auxilliary signals.

thank you. I am not as smart as I look. i have the exact same adaptor in my hand. I was only looking at the header that is soldered and not the side pins. I will solder a header to the side and give it a try.

is the capactor necessary VCC -> GND? I will try to solder this all together and report back. I will be excited to see it work. Now I am starting to understand it better. Also, are there any issues with just leaving the FTDI in there? they are just as cheap rather than inventing another 3.3V source?