Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By RoyLee
#62627 this weekend I was trying to modify a Sonoff module and I ended with the same results listed above. sync_failed. Not only with arduino but also with PlatformIO. Exactly the same error in both IDE's. It just can't connect with it. Tried 3 different FTDI modules.
By esp8266_18
#62642 I have the same problem still, using two ESP-12 devices and both windows and linux IDEs. I prefer writing my sketches in the Arduino IDE but all my efforts have failed - power supply checked, pull-ups and pulldowns where recommended, filter capacitors added, com port speeds, etc.

However, I have found a method which works for me with Windows10 and I hope will work for others too. Firstly I compile a sketch in the IDE and then export it as a .bin file. Close the IDE and then run esp8266_flasher.exe (see link below), select the com port and previously saved bin file and click the 'Download' button in flasher window. Currently I have 100% success with flashing the ESP-12 using this method.

It seems to me that something is amiss with Arduino-ESP flashing, as so many users experience the same upload failures but esp_flasher works.

esp8266_flasher.exe can be downloaded from: https://github.com/Stadslab/ESP8266_exa ... te%20Ready

I trust that others will try this method where upload failures are experienced and report back with their findings.

Edit: As a follow up, I have since discovered that esp8266_flasher.exe runs ok with linux/wine with a symlink to the com port but does not successfully upload to the esp8266. It connects ok but stalls at about 45% upload, so it seems that I will have to use windows for now.