Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By DaveR
#60956 Hi - I am having the exact same problem and I believe this is specific to the nodeMCU board some of us are using. The board I have is the $8 one that has the Silicon Labs USB-UART chip and the AI Thinker esp8266 chip. The error i'm getting below seems to be consistent with others on this thread.

I've also tried to flash using the EspFlash and nodeMCUFlash tools and I've also tried to talk to the board using the EsPlorer application. I've tried this with Arduino 1.6.12 and then downgraded to 1.6.5. I've tried the flash/reset button thing too to get it into flash mode.

So the card has the default AT firmware and none of the different flash profs or serial terms work. I do get a few garbage Characters on the term when I press the rest button. This tells me the 2 are physically talking to each other. I've tried all different baud rates so I have to conclude it's got to be the serial driver.

I've been using the cp2102 driver on windows 10. From the device manager it seems all is working fine.

Anyone else have success with a different driver?
By DaveR
#61007 After 4 days and 20+ hours of work, relearning serial protocols, trying multiple serial terms, every flash loader option, and several different USB driver options. I even bought a logic analyzer and was about to get low level on this joint.

This morning the second $8 hiletgo board arrived and worked out of The box. I guess the first one was a dud....

Hope this helps the next guy
By niggy
Random_Name wrote:I got the same problem on Linux, I launched Arduino IDE as root and it worked (for Windows you should launch Arduino IDE as admin). It's probably a permission problem.

This!!

I knew I had been able to upload stuff to my D1 Mini before, without any fuss.
It was a 'permissions issue' and I had completely forgotten about it!
Thanks.

Using Linux Mint on an old pc..
Now, someone with more experience than me should be able to tell us how to make a permanent fix for this.

Cheers!