Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By jarnoldbrown
#70575 I'm having a problem with client.connect() taking too long to return is the event of a failed connection.
After searching the web, it seems that there has been a modification made that means client.setTimeout() affects the waiting period of client.connect. However, my Arduino installation(1.82) doesn't seem to have this change. I've tried Sketch/include library/library manager/type/updateable to no avail, so I tried deleting the ESP8266WiFi library to see if I could then re-install it. So far I have only succeeded in screwing up several days of work. I would dearly love to know where I can find the latest version of the library, and whether or not it will actually include the fix for the 5 second timeout currently applied to client.connect.

Thanks in anticipation,

John
By jarnoldbrown
#70577 Well, I'm even more screwed now! After fighting Windows, which kept telling m I had to get permission from myself to change files, I backed up all my sketches and went for a new install of 1.8.5. Added the ESP8266 board support, and then couldn't get past an error message about a missing file(xtensa-lx106-elf-g++).
So I went and found that file, copied it into the appropiate directory, and now have a new error message(exit status -1073741515).
I have no idea what to try next. Please help me!
By jarnoldbrown
#70579 After deleting and reinstalling a couple more times, I'm pretty much back where I started. So I still have the problem that client.connect is taking way too long to return, but from what I've read, this has been fixed in the library. However, the library manager doesn't bring up anything "updateable", so I'd like to know:
a) How to update the relevant library manually.
b) If the fix I'm after ever made it into the world.
By schufti
#70580 changes to the arduino esp8266 core do not come with the arduino IDE nor with library manager.
All/most esp8266 related things come with installation of board manager package for esp8266.
Did you try to use the staging instead of the stable package?
Don't forget to deinstall current version before changing to other one!!!
If even staging doesn't have your wanted changes you can go for the git-version.
easiest way: download git.zip (https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino
) extract and replace wifi libraries.

clean installation: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=14222

on github page click on the "nnnn commits" to see what changes have recently been implemented
5000ms compatibility timeout seems to be in for ~5 months, so should be available in staging 2.4.0rc1