Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By parkinbot
#76263 Hey guys, I'm new to this Forum and have an installation problem which seemingly is not yet covered here.

After installing ESP8266 ver 2.4.1 using http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/packa ... index.json under Windows 8.1, my Arduino IDE (1.8.5) hangs (freezes) whenever I call save as to save a new sketch or file open to open some existing sketch. In order to continue the session at least I can kill the Java save as task in the taskmanager.
I tried to reinstall the IDE, but this didn't help.
Since file save is possible some workaround seems to be to manually create a project folder and an ino file and open the IDE using a double click on the ino file. It is possible to compile the project then, and to save changes ...

1. Anyone else having this problem?
2. Haven't found a way to uninstall ESP8266 yet? Is there one?

Thanks for any hints.
By schufti
#76308 a) if you go into the board manager and klick on the esp8266 package there shold appear the "update" and "remove" buttons.

b) try installing the arduino IDE in "portable" mode:
don't use installer, use zip version. extract to some convenient place ("installation directory") and create subdir "portable" into "installation directory".
this also makes it easier to have various esp core versions (also IDE versions) in parallel and save/move your "installation"