Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By CLK
#85933 I'm just getting started with the ESP8266. When I try to verify any example sketch for the generic module I get this error:

"Error resolving FQBN: getting
Error compiling for board Generic ESP8266 Module."

I tried searching this error and I couldn't find anyone else having anything quite like it. I also have a HUZZAH feather that I wasn't planning to use for my project. But I plugged it in and when I try to verify, I get the same error.

I have the ESP8266 Community installed. I selected the Generic ESP8266 Module as the board when I was trying to use the little module, and when I tested the feather I selected the feather as the board. I have both these URLs in the additional boards URLs:

http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/packa ... index.json
https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/rele ... index.json

I don't know what else to do to fix this error.
By QuickFix
#85955 It sounds like a not correctly installed Arduino IDE or ESP8266 core: you should be able to at least compile a sketch (even if you don't have an ESP connected).
Can you compile a normal Arduino sketch?

If not: uninstall the entire Arduino setup, deleting all that is left behind and reinstall everything, following the installation instructions to the letter (take notice of all paths and the read/write rights on them).
If you are able to compile a simple Arduino sketch: remove the entire ESP8266 core and start over (again: following the instructions to the letter).

One note: I recall a thread started a couple of months ago saying that the ESP8266 core wasn't compatible with the latest Arduino IDE, so you might want to check that out. :idea:
By CLK
#85959 It was only the ESP8266 sketches. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and it compiles now. But I didn't see this reply before I did it, so it is the latest version and I have yet to upload a sketch to my ESP8266. So I'm not yet 100% sure that it will work. Do you know which version of the Arduino IDE works?
By QuickFix
#85968 I'm still working with a rather old version (version 1.8.2) and that works fine, but I suppose that some higher version should work as well, I just don't know from what version on problems with the ESP core arise.