Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By iamnotachoice
#15811 I'm trying this on Mac OS X 10.10.2, the precompiled IDE works great, but I fail to update it.

I read in this thread that updating the precompiled ESP8266-Arduino installation is as easy as cloning the github repo and then replacing the hardware/esp8266com directory in the installation with the one from the repo.

I've done that a few times over the last few days, but I never got a working installation afterwards. Now I get

"'SC_STATUS_LINK_OVER' was not declared in this scope"

when trying to upload the HelloServer example sketch. I also tried building it using the build instructions from the readme, and this build version runs and seems to flash properly. However, when uploading sketches using the ESP8266 specific libraries, they will seem to flash properly, but then do not run on the module after having been flashed.

Any ideas? Thanks already for any hint!
By Michaelo
#15863 First off, many thanks to all involved, this makes working with the ESP a lot more enjoyable... ;)

The windows binary download (with the all in one, 1.6.1 package) works perfectly, but copying the required files from it to a 1.6.3 installation just produces a compile error with no more information to try debug. I'm guessing I have an improperly structured directory layout or missing files or the wrong version of files... any chance we could have the directory structure an file list so we can confirm we have all the files and they are in the right place, or if anyone has it working with 1.6.3, could they tell me where I went wrong :roll:

Update...
I've read the post on git related to 1.6.3 and although still a little confused, I guess it's all in hand...

I personally don't like the practice of having required files in user related folders... it's prone to screw ups... better to keep all files in the same install folder... lets hope that's the way they go ;)

Mike