Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By bobcroft
#13450 I had a similar problem where the programmer did appear and when I looked in the programmer.txt file it was empty. I then copied the programmer .txt file from the 1.6.1 version at which point the programmer appeared in the Arduino list. However I then got 'compile error' and nothing else. At this point I gave up! System is Win 7 64 Arduino 1.6.3.

I so wish this ESP8266 addition would work properly as an addition to 1.6.3 or 1.6.2 because it potential is amazing.
By alain 06640
#13458 Works perfectly (esp8266blink example )with windows 7 and IDE1.6.3 and (My Arduino folder)\arduino-esp8266-master\ containing esp8266 and tools folders.
My arduino folder is in dropbox : Dropbox\arduino sketches. Then I can work on any pc on my local network with the same data.
Great job !
Alain (from France)
By nl0pvm
#13672 I am very very happy with your work.

However I have a question regarding the libaries that are esp8266 specific. Like the OneWire.h library.
I now replaced the OneWire.h library in the libaries folder however whenever i want to build firmware for a normal Arduino, I will have to replace that library again. Is there not a better way to do that?

(BTW adding the library to the \Arduino\hardware\arduino-esp8266-master\esp8266\libraries did not make any difference. In other words that location does not override the defaul location)
By bobcroft
alain 06640 wrote:Works perfectly (esp8266blink example )with windows 7 and IDE1.6.3 and (My Arduino folder)\arduino-esp8266-master\ containing esp8266 and tools folders.
My arduino folder is in dropbox : Dropbox\arduino sketches. Then I can work on any pc on my local network with the same data.
Great job !
Alain (from France)

Alain, that's interesting because you make no mention of putting anything under the Arduino hardware folder. I'll have to try your set up. I have never used Dropbox but you are the second person in the last couple of days to suggest its use. I assume otherwise that you just used Roger's download.

Bob in the UK.