Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By ffk
#25906 Just getting started using ESP8266 using ESP01. I have followed the instructions at
https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/
I am using a FTDI serial interface at 115k baud and the AT commands work as advertised and I can connect to the web.

Then, using the GPIO=0 and toggling CH_PD, I tried to download the basic sketch with no code other than the empty setup and loop. The code compiled, then when time to download, I get an error java.io.IOException Cannot run python.exe.

I do have a version of python on my machine under cygwin from previous work. I am not sure whether python should have been installed with the Arduino stuff.

My system is Windows 7 and the Arduino is newly updated to 1.6.5.

Help!
Fred Klein
By ffk
#25957 I fixed this problem. While trying to make the selections, I had tried Tools; Upload Using set to Serial and something didn't seem right, then changed to OTA. This is where I got the reference to python. Just now I reverted back to Serial and the download succeeded.

Thanks for looking.
Fred Klein
By tac_evaworcim
#29946 Python is required if you upload OTA updates to the board.
Though when I tried to set up OTA, I got the same error, despite of python is installed and available in PATH.
Not sure why this happens. As a quick fix, you can edit your platform.txt in arduino distribution folder. Change corresponding tools.espota.* variable to a full path to the python, e.g.
Code: Select alltools.espota.cmd.windows=Q:/Python27/python.exe