Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By TomBrad
#33068 Hi, Ive installed the ide version 1.6.5, and Im now trying to load the esp8266 board via the boards manager.

Ive typed in the link in the additional boards url, but when i go tools>board manager, i get a error on bottom of screen (screen shot attached)

Any ideas??

Complete noob here btw

Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By AdaBill
#34606 I had a similar problem. I'm using windows and had to go to the C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming \Arduino15\packages\esp8266. .. and get rid of the old esp8266 files before i could download the latest update.

I also updated my Arduino IDE program to 1.6.5 r5 from r2 where I was previously running, which caused other problems.

I did this a couple days ago and don't remember exactly what I did to remove the old esp8266 files. Maybe one of the moderators can help?

Caution, when I upgraded to r5, now my DHT22 sensor no longer reads any temp or RH values! Everything else seems to work OK.

I assume there is a better way of getting the latest esp8266 update into the board manager, but I'm not aware of it.

Good Luck.
By sej7278
#34646 i always find using the git version is better, then you can just install the core into ~/sketchbook/hardware/esp8266com/

https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino#using-git-version-

i found that if you used boards mangler to install 1.6.5, then 1.6.6 will be totally broken when you try to update it.
By AdaBill
sej7278 wrote:i always find using the git version is better, then you can just install the core into ~/sketchbook/hardware/esp8266com/

https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino#using-git-version-

i found that if you used boards mangler to install 1.6.5, then 1.6.6 will be totally broken when you try to update it.

Thanks for the advise BUT, How do you install the Core ? I'm new at this process and not a programmer! :?