Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By whogarden
#33111 Hello, I am (very) newbe
I bought 4 ESP8266 ESP-12E, but they (I tested only 2 of them) are not working with AT commands. No response.
After many researchs I found that the baud rate is 74880 (strange value) and when I power up the module with no GPIO connected, I have the message :
ets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:1, boot mode:(7,7)
waiting for host

I thought that there is no soft inside...
So, many days after..., I used nodemcu (with GPIO0 and GPIO15 to ground) and flashed the v0.9.2.2 AT Firmware.bin at address 0x00000. Everything was allright the log was quite ok.
But after restart with no GPIO connected, the modules are allways in boot mode.
Was I wrong to do that?
What must I do to a basic use with AT commands?
Thanks.
By whogarden
#33449 Hello,
Some steps further...
I found that to be in AT command mode the ESP 8266 - 12E must have the GPIO15 connected to ground (with 1K resistor).
It's working well.
But now to go further, can someone explain how do I do to upload an arduino uno sketch at 74880 bauds as there is no 74880 bauds in arduino IDE. Can I change the baud rate of the ESP ? Arduino can not generate a binary file?
Is there some memory map of the ESP?
How does it starts (address, microboot?..).
Thank you.
By martinayotte
whogarden wrote:But now to go further, can someone explain how do I do to upload an arduino uno sketch at 74880 bauds as there is no 74880 bauds in arduino IDE. Can I change the baud rate of the ESP ?

You don't need to switch to 74880. ROM Bootloader is detecting baudrate at the start of the upload. If you turn verbose in IDE preference, you will see that the upload is defaulted to 115200 :
Code: Select all.arduino15/packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/1.6.5-1106-g8253b82/tools/esptool/esptool -vv -cd ck -cb 115200 -cp /dev/ttyUSB2 -ca 0x00000 -cf /tmp/build8539181614398550096.tmp/MyAPServer.cpp.bin

whogarden wrote:Arduino can not generate a binary file?

What do you mean by "can not generate" ? in the above example with verbosity, we can see the path of the compiled binary which is currently uploading.

whogarden wrote:Is there some memory map of the ESP?
How does it starts (address, microboot?..).
Thank you.

There is plenty of such info in wikis/threads/code, but you don't need to worry about memory map since the Arduino core framework is taking care of that for you.