Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By mboroff
#37198 I found the answer on the adafruit site.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... rduino-ide

Sorry but no where does the documentation say go to the preference page to enter the url for the boards manager. Also this tutorial also helped me get a running test program to check out the wifi.
By DrG
#37204 Glad you are getting it going. Putting the json link in preferences was, to me, the original way to do it. BTW I have to retract my previous comment about 1.6.7. Tonight it is working fine with ESP boards - they are all listed and I just uploaded to a nodemcu 0.9 board without problem. Not sure if this is a Festivus miracle or what. One nice thing about 1.6.7 is that it pops up for library updates and within the board manager, you can select a version. That's new to me. Still, except for this machine, I am going to hand on to 1.6.5 for a while.

Cheers,

DrG
By mboroff
#37261 For what it is worth I ended up with nodemcu 1.0 and Arduino 1.6.5 on a Mac. This combination works for my project. I may try other versions later.

I'm not sure what other folks do but I have the space to have multiple versions of Arduino IDE on my system. When I was using Windows, I always downloaded the installer version, not the zip version. Therefore I could only have one version active at a time.