Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By ernst1024
#40538 Hi, my name is Ernst and this is my first posting here. I don't know if this is the right section for my question, but I'll ask anyway.

Don't know how to describe my problem best. I installed both the arduino software and the additional esp8266 librarys. I can flash my esp8266 with the example programs that came with the ESP8266 library, like "HelloServer.ino". So I I enter my SSID and password and say upload. After flashing it says upload ok (or the like). I then disconnect GPIO0 from GND and power cycle the ESP.

But the only thing that happens now that it somehow erases my WLAN, at least the WLAN disappers from the list of available access points . This is true for the 2.4Ghz Wlan of my Router, while 5.0Ghz access is still availlable. I then logged onto my Router using the 5GHz from my Computer to see if the ESP8266 is listed there as a device, but it isn't.

In addition to that strange behavior, I noticed that the ESP does not respond to AT Commands I send, nor do I see any reasonable output in the monitor window (yes, I tried several baud rates etc...)

I also tried to flash the ESP with the ESP8266fasher from nodemcu but still no result. The flashing itself runs without problems, no error msg's or the like.

In some instructions on how to wire the ESP it says that RST must be connected to 3,3V, while others say not?

So far I have:
GND - GND
VCC - 3,3V
CH_PD - 3,3V
TXD - RXD
RXD - TXD
GPIO0 - only to GND when flashing
RST - not connected
GPIO2 - not connected

Any hints are greatly appreciated.

Have a nice day .. ernst
By lethe
#40545 Sounds to me like you have a pretty crappy router. The ESP is probably triggering a bug in your router, causing the AP to crash.

You could check if there's a firmware update available for your router and if that doesn't fix the problem, report it to the manufacturer. But given the level of support most router manufacturers provide, that probably won't change anything...

You can also try reporting the issue (stating router exact router model & firmware version) to espressif, they might might be able to put a work-around in place, but imho it's not their problem to fix...
By schufti
#40551 Hi,

for a) I think this "hello server" is a bad example because it starts the esp in AP mode with same credentials as it connects to existing router. So maybe it is just a "on air" conflict that seems to erase your router.

b) there should be at least some output over the serial (in the serial monitor of Arduino IDE) when starting the "hello server" as you can see from the serial.print commands in the sketch.

c) when loaded with an "ardino sketch" there is nothing left of the AT-firmware, so there can't be any response to AT command unless you implement them in your sketch.
By ernst1024
lethe wrote:Sounds to me like you have a pretty crappy router. The ESP is probably triggering a bug in your router, causing the AP to crash.

ok, the Router is a Telekom Speedport W921V. I have an older Router somewhere so maybe I'll hook that up and see what happens.
But I doubt it's a Router Problem because I see the same behaviors when I log onto my Brothers WLAN who lives next door. (Unless he has a W921V too, but i'll ask him)

schufti wrote:Hi,

for a) I think this "hello server" is a bad example because it starts the esp in AP mode with same credentials as it connects to existing router. So maybe it is just a "on air" conflict that seems to erase your router.

b) there should be at least some output over the serial (in the serial monitor of Arduino IDE) when starting the "hello server" as you can see from the serial.print commands in the sketch.

c) when loaded with an "ardino sketch" there is nothing left of the AT-firmware, so there can't be any response to AT command unless you implement them in your sketch.

Well, I tested furthermore and reduced the upload speed (for flashing) from 115200 (which is default for the arduino IDE) to 9600 baud and that seems to help. At least now I see readable characters in the serial Monitor.
On Air conflict, yes this was my first thought too, and after sleeping over it, i'm sure that is part of the problem. I have a "virgin" ESP here so maybe i'll start from scratch.
How can I set the ESP back to it's origin state? I thought flashing it with the ESP8266flasher tool (nodemcu_float_0.9.6-dev_20150704.bin) would do the trick?

Well I thank you both, much appreciated and hopefully i'll get it running somehow ... Ernst