Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By schufti
#40586 Hi,
in general the upload speed does not relate to the speed of the serial monitor.

As long as the upload with 115200 was successfull there is no need to change anything.
You just have to make shure the speed selected in the serial monitor equals the speed that is choosen in the serial.begin() of the sketch. Maybe you have to open the serial monitor before starting the upload to see anything happening right after the required manual reset (as you haven't connected GPIO0 and RST to the USB/serial converter) following the upload.

P.S.: why don't you start with simpler sketches that just want to be either client or accesspoint?
By ernst1024
schufti wrote:Hi,
in general the upload speed does not relate to the speed of the serial monitor.

As long as the upload with 115200 was successfull there is no need to change anything.
You just have to make shure the speed selected in the serial monitor equals the speed that is choosen in the serial.begin() of the sketch. Maybe you have to open the serial monitor before starting the upload to see anything happening right after the required manual reset (as you haven't connected GPIO0 and RST to the USB/serial converter) following the upload.

P.S.: why don't you start with simpler sketches that just want to be either client or accesspoint?

I know that upload speed and monitor speed do not relate to each other, but I thought that reducing the upload speed avoid possible errors while flashing.

I thought that this was a simple sketch, can you give me a link to a simple sketch?

Maybe I'm confusing things. My goal is to use the ESP with a Temperature sensor (DS 18B20) powered by a battery as a stand-alone unit that
a: I can call fro my Webbrowser to see the actual Temperature and
b: it should send the information say every 10 min to my raspberry pi that is running FHEM (a house automation software)

So would this be a server or a client?

Thank you .. Ernst
By martinayotte
ernst1024 wrote:Maybe I'm confusing things. My goal is to use the ESP with a Temperature sensor (DS 18B20) powered by a battery as a stand-alone unit that
a: I can call fro my Webbrowser to see the actual Temperature and
b: it should send the information say every 10 min to my raspberry pi that is running FHEM (a house automation software)

So would this be a server or a client?

Since it will be battery powered, and waking up every 10 mins, it can't be a server.
The server should be the RaspberryPi, and the ESP should connect to it as a client, pushing its data and then enter in deepSleep for 10 mins.
By ernst1024
#40629 Hi,

thank you all for your help so far.

I can't get it to work?&%$###
I took a virgin ESP8266 01 and connected it:

ESP serial USB
VCC and CH_PD 3,3 V
Grnd Grnd
TX RX
RX TX

fired up the Arduino IDE, checked Port settings, fired up serial Monitor (115200, NL + CR) and powered the ESP

Characters on the screen but nothing readable, no "OK". Typed "AT" , no response from the ESP.

Tried all possible combinations of different baud rates but still no success.

Somewhere i've read that in some cases it could be a problem with the power supply since some USB ports provide not enough power to run the ESP reliable?

I'm pretty new to all this electronic stuff, but somehow I managed to set up the Raspberry along with some sensors, but frankly, at the moment, I have no idea what else I could try to get the ESP to do what I want.

confused ... Ernst