Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By martinayotte
#40631 Are you using AT firmware ?
For your kind of application, I would rather suggest to use Arduino ESP framework.
Start with a simple Blink sketch, upload this sketch firmware and look if the ESP is actually blinking the LED.
Then, start looking at libraries/ESP8266HTTPClient/examples/BasicHttpClient, tweak the URL so that it will send the HTTP request to your RasberryPi (BTW, you will need an Apache server on the RaspberryPi).
After having that working, add more code to your ESP sketch, and add some PHP scripts on the Pi side to handle and process the data received from ESP, create some nice Web page on the Pi to display the data, probably with graphs, etc.
By ernst1024
#40634 I'm sorry to ask but what is AT firmware and what is the Arduino ESP framework?
I use the Arduino Software (1.6.7) and I added : http://arduino.esp8266.com/package_esp8 ... index.json

With the later, I got all the ESP specific stuff like "HelloServer.ino" as mentioned in my first post.

I tried the blink sketch (the one that came with the ESP examples). It compiles fine, uploads fine and at the end it says upload completed.
Then I power down the ESP, disconnect GND from GPIO0 and Power on the ESP. I see the blue LED flashing on startup for 1 or 2 seconds, then it stops and only the red LED is on.

This one is nagging me ......

Thanx for your patience
By martinayotte
#40637 Arduino ESP framework is what you've installed : Arduino IDE + ESP JSON package thru BuildManager.

AT firmware is a piece of software usually found on virgin ESP. It handle AT commands thru Serial to control Wifi.
(But, personally, I hate AT firmware since it is a piece of crap)
I've mentioned it, because you said in your previous post that you didn't saw any "Ok" and typing AT doesn't give any response. But all that is for AT firmware, and as soon you've uploaded an Arduino sketch, this AT firmware is replaced/erased/gone, so don't expect the newly uploaded Arduino sketch to response to AT commands.

For your Blink trial, it seems that ESP is crashing right at the beginning, probably due to bad power supply.
How do you power the ESP ? Do you have a huge capacitor, such as 220uF or 470uF nearby the ESP across VCC/GND ?
If not, add some, it will help !
Also, it is a good practice to have pullups (around 10K) on both GPIO2/GPIO0 and RES.
Then, retry the Blink sketch.
By ernst1024
martinayotte wrote:For your Blink trial, it seems that ESP is crashing right at the beginning, probably due to bad power supply.
How do you power the ESP ? Do you have a huge capacitor, such as 220uF or 470uF nearby the ESP across VCC/GND ?
If not, add some, it will help !
Also, it is a good practice to have pullups (around 10K) on both GPIO2/GPIO0 and RES.
Then, retry the Blink sketch.

Thanx, so on the software side it should be all ok, that's the good news.

Now, as I mentioned before, i'm new to all this so frankly I have no idea what you mean. I once ordered a starter kit for my raspberry. Here i have several 100 uF capacitors, can I use them (like 2 in a row makes 200?) How would I connect it, positive to VCC and negative to ground?

Also, I never understood what pullups are? I explained it to myself a pullup is if you add 3,3V to a GPIO Pin? I have some 10k resistors here same question: how would I connect them to GPIO0/2 and RST?

Again sorry for all the stupied questions .... Ernst