Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By bobcroft
#40930 To the best of my knowledge the esp/Arduino Github says to use version 1.6.5 and I can find no reference to anything newer (1.6.6 or 1.6.7) working properly, if at all. I use 1.6.5 with stable version 2.0 of espArduino and it works faultlessly. The Github site says use 1.6.5!!!!!

for the life of me I cannot see why people new to esp's and the esp/Arduino do not use the stable versions that are known to work. Once the developer of esp/Arduino has a version that is stable with 1.6.7 or later I'm sure he'll update the GIT.

Another good reason to use the stable versions is that many people are running it and can offer help based on their experience.
By brianbloom
#41842 I uploaded and successfully ran a sketch tonight on my NodeMCU v0.9 using Arduino IDE 1.6.7. Had to first install a driver for the CH340G chip (CH341ser driver for Windows in my case) but then ran a blink sketch and one that fetches a Web page (from here: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-huz ... rduino-ide) both with no issues. The esp drivers were just the standard ones from the Board Manager.
By schufti
#41861 at least for the last months (2-3) version 1.6.7 had issues with missing forward declaration of functions (not in one of your "tests").
For someone C savvy it's no big deal but might be stress to the usual arduinoist.
There were rumours for working betas (1.6.8 ???)