Chat here is you are connecting ESP-xx type modules to existing AVR based Arduino

Moderator: igrr

By amazingly_purple
#51391 Hi! I'm new to posting here, so sorry if I am doing this wrong.

I recently got a standalone Esp8266 12e, and am trying to upload a blank sketch, using the Arduino IDE to ensure that I can upload arduino sketches the way I want to. I'm using an Arduino Nano, and the connections below is the only combination so far that has been closest to an upload.

Arduino ---- ESP8266 12e
3.3v ---- VCC
3.3v ---- CH_EN
GND ---- GND
GND ---- GPIO15
GND ---- GPIO0
TX ---- TX
RX ---- RX

I know that there is not a problem with either board because I have used the Nano in previous projects, and have been able to upload a blank sketch to the ESP over an Arduino Uno, using the same connections.

When I try to upload code to my ESP using the Nano, both the onboard blue led on the 12e and the RX light on the Nano blink in unison two times, and then the led on Nano pin 13 blinks. This whole cycle repeats about three times, and then the following error appears:

warning: espcomm_sync failed
error: espcomm_open failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed

Funny enough, when I open the Serial Monitor, it says "Ready!", although there is no response to any AT command I input.

I am very frustrated after attempting to fix this for at least two days, and am pretty new to the ESP world, so forgive me if I am making some terrible noob mistake.
Thank you for any help in advance though, I greatly appreciate it!!

EDIT

So, I've made some progress, but am still running into issues.

I have been able to upload code by either holding down the Arduino Nano's reset button or connecting the RST pin on the Nano throughout the entire upload. It works like a dream until the upload completes, at which point the Arduino/ESP disconnects itself until I disconnect the RST pin from ground or unplug and re-plug the USB cable.

What exactly is going on and can I do to keep the Arduino/ESP connected?
Thank you again for any help in advance!
By JoeO
#51475 I have never tried this with an arduino but there is 1 thing that comes to mind.
When using the Uno, it would seem to me that you have to remove the 328 from the socket.
The nano has a surface mount 328 that you can not just unplug. On the nano, both devices will be trying to talk on the TX and RX lines, screwing up the download.
This is why you get a little further holding down reset because then you are not allowing the 328 to communicate.
By amazingly_purple
#51483 Oh, I see. That makes sense. Is there a way to bypass the 328 on the Nano in a similar fashion? I've seen other things online where people have used a nano, but they haven't quite worked for me.
By schufti
#51484 that's exactly what's happening.
And if he had bothered to use the boardsearch, he would have found several threads like this ...

I can't understand why ppl are not willing to spend the US$2.xx for a decent USB/serial converter ... but spend hours (US$2.xx equal ??min sparetime ???) hunting down errors that won't happen otherwise.