Chat here is you are connecting ESP-xx type modules to existing AVR based Arduino

Moderator: igrr

By sixbacon
#58969 I have played with bare ESP12E units without connection problems. I am not trying a nodemcu v1 unit. Using the example programs in the ESP8266 libarary I can scan the networks ok, but I cannot log the unit onto my network with the sample program or any program that runs on my bare ESP12E units.

I switched on debugging and the monitor continually repeats -
reconnect
f 0, scandone
state: 0 -> 2 (b0)
state: 2 -> 3 (0)
state: 3 -> 0 (1)

the WiFi.status() is always 6.

I can program the unit to do non-wifi things no problem, so it the processor works.

I spent some time looking on the net and found various bits about flash memory issues, but they involved
state:3 -> 5
not as above, and none of the suggested solutions worked.

Any ideas? Or do I just have a bad unit.
By sixbacon
#59432 I found the same problem at https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/issues/2038. I also tried other routers and was able to connect, so problem is router specific. My router is an elderly Netgear DG834G. (Yes I tried to upgrade the firmware and tweeked all the settings, to no effect.) I have raised an issue but I would doubt it will be high on the list of priorities, as it only affects a few routers.

Resolution - I rolled back the board software in the Arduino IDE from 2.3.0 to 2.0.0 and the problem went away (go to Board manager, select "more info" and the list of versions available is presented, select 2.0.0, then 2.3.0 is automaticallly removed and 2.0.0 installed). Not too satisfactory, but I have developed many applications on that version and had no problems.

I hope this helps somone else save a few hours and frustration.