Chat here is you are connecting ESP-xx type modules to existing AVR based Arduino

Moderator: igrr

By Merlin
#59583 When you say "long range" what exactly are we talking here? I've seen an experiment where WiFi was transmitted 2 miles, but needs line-of-sight for anything like that.

There are some connectionless protocols like AX25 that may help you understand what you really want. But in short, what you want is a "connectionless protocol".
By rudy
stern0m1 wrote:Udp would probably help somewhat. But I want to communicate without even establishing a network.

I want to send and receive data with radio waves over the wifi frequency . Just using the wifi chip as a means to receive and transmit radio waves which interpreted to data. Just like communication with a wireless arduino.

For simple machine to machine commands this would be more efficient and I believe could increase the range.

Then you have to use something other than wifi. Wifi will only communicate on a "network". The network can be established between two ESP modules at minimum. Espressif does have a non-wifi mode of operation but this is not something that is available with the Arduino structure. I don't believe that it is good for long range communications but I have not seriously looked at it so I can't say that it is for certain unusable. https://espressif.com/en/products/softw ... w/overview

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=7713

I think that you should read some of the information and you may find that the UDP WIFI will do what you want. Or you should look for a general purpose radio module.
By rudy
#59600 As far as my comment about maybe not being good for long range communications I was talking about the non-WIFI mode the Expressif has. ESP-now. I have posted a link to a video (I think from Hong Kong) on one thread where video was sent from one location to another with a distance of 10km or something like that. But that was using dishes on both ends I think. But most people would not want to go to those extremes.

Edit:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12456&start=4