Chat here is you are connecting ESP-xx type modules to existing AVR based Arduino

Moderator: igrr

By JohnSL
#65015 I'm trying to figure out the mapping available for the ESP12-E. This may have been covered here already, but I tried search and it wouldn't return any results for ESP12-E. It said no such keyword.

In any event, my question is about the additional pins that are along the bottom of the module. Looking at pins_arduino.h, I don't see mappings for GPIO9 and GPIO10. These are brought out to the sides on the NodeMCU 1.0 boards. Can these be used from Arduino code?

Also, what is the state of using the CS0, MISO, MOSI, and SCLK pins along the bottom? Can these be used for SPI to connect to other devices, such as a display?

Thanks,
-- John
By Barnabybear
#65022 Hi, the pins on the end are GPIOs 6 to 11 and are connected to the onboard flash, using them results in a crash. The only reason I can see for breaking them out is that in a production enviroment you could hold CH_PD low power up the board and write directly to flash.
By JohnSL
Barnabybear wrote:Hi, the pins on the end are GPIOs 6 to 11 and are connected to the onboard flash, using them results in a crash. The only reason I can see for breaking them out is that in a production enviroment you could hold CH_PD low power up the board and write directly to flash.

Thanks. Given that, it seems odd these would be connected to headers on the NodeMCU 1.0 dev kit, which is what I'm using. But at least that explains why trying to use any of those pins caused a crash.
By Barnabybear
Given that, it seems odd these would be connected to headers on the NodeMCU 1.0 dev kit, which is what I'm using.

I guess they thought someone may come up with a way to use them and if they didn't have headers the board would be at a disadvantage. I think someone looked into using an SD card as opposed to flash but haven't seen anything posted so I'm guessing it didn't work or there was no advantage.