Chat here is you are connecting ESP-xx type modules to existing AVR based Arduino

Moderator: igrr

By joshferg
#22634 I'm sure I'm missing something, but I can't get this figured out and don't know the right search terms to get me to an answer.

1 - I have setup the ESP8266 module to connect to my network and get an IP address. It does this on boot, without arduino.
2 - I have an arduino project that I have been using the Arduino Ethernet (hardwired) library on. I want to convert this to run off wireless using the ESP8266.

How is this done? It seems like most libraries I find are trying to join networks from the arduino code by sending commands to the ESP8266. Is this required? Can the ESP8266 connect to the network on its own and simply supply a data feed like the Ethernet shield does?

Thanks!
By stang
#22796 If I read your post correctly, you want to use an ESP instead of Ethernet shield for an Arduino.

Personally I would break the project up as follows;

1. Methods of getting data to and from a sketch running on esp from arduino - i2c, spi, serial etc. Get a simple echo sketch working between the two boards - this is your first set of search terms to find examples.
2. ESP Sketch that takes data and sends it to a location (the udp responder examples may be usefull).
3. Merge 1 & 2 because you now have solutions to the two subsets which make up your complete solution.

I would be interested to see what you find for (1) - I havn't looked as yet - I2c would be a good way but I believe i2c on the ESP is master only - SPI could be a good way but of course serial would be the easiest.

Stan