Chat here is you are connecting ESP-xx type modules to existing AVR based Arduino

Moderator: igrr

By Mike Lo
#33399 Hi guys:
I am new to here. I have a question about using NODEMCU 1.0 as Arduino. i have tried many instruction to make nodemcu an arduino. But non of them works. I wonder if any one has a experience about it. And also is there any way I can updat the nodemcu firmware to latest version?
By electronrancher
#33495 Sure, this works fine.

1) Plug NodeMCU into PC, install driver if needed. Remember what serial port it represents
2) Put NodeMCU into firmware upload mode: Hold RST and FLASH buttons, Release RST, Release FLASH.
3) Configure Arduino (Tools menu) to NodeMCU board, your serial port, flash size, etc.
4) Upload sketch.

Now your NodeMCU is flashed with your Arduino sketch. To make it a NodeMCU again, just get the NodeMCU flasher, which will come with the latest NodeMCU firmware bundled in it.
By kolban
#33555 Howdy Mike,
As I understand it, NodeMCU is a strategy composed of two things ... NodeMCU DevKit and NodeMCU LUA. The first is a physical board based on the ESP8266. The second is firmware that can be loaded into an ESP8266 (including NodeMCU DevKit) that provides an implementation of the LUA programming language.

With these concepts in mind, what I sense you are asking about is using a NodeMCU DevKit as a platform on which you can write C applications using the Arduino IDE that also leverage the Arduino specification for library interfaces? Is this also your understanding?

Arduino is itself a "strategy" ... it is a series of boards that are based on the ATmel processors which have well defined pin definitions. In addition, Arduino provides a development environment called the Arduino IDE that allows programmers to write applications in C using a set of libraries that simplify the task.