Using the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266 and found bugs, report them here

Moderator: igrr

By frank_dunn1
#49343 Hi

I have one nodemcu amica set up as a softAP and another set up in STA mode .I use arduino 1.6.9 . When I reboot both units they connect after startup , when I reboot the station , I see in the debug information from the AP the station can not reconnect because it is already associated . Is this normal ?
By ipaq3115
#56765 I'm having the exact same problem, but I believe I figured out why it's happening. Did you ever find a way to fix it?

If you turn on debugging in the IDE you will get messages like this when a device connects and disconnects from the SoftAP:

station: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx join, AID = 1
station: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx leave, AID = 1

When I connect/disconnect my phone to/from the SoftAP I get both of these messages. However, when I disconnect an 8266 I don't get the 'leave' event until exactly 10 minutes after the disconnect actually happened.

I think what's happening is that the disconnect event doesn't happen because the 8266 is being turned off hard and whatever disconnect message that the SoftAP needs it never gets. Then it waits a whole 10 minutes for the device to come back before knocking it out of the list. Meanwhile the 8266 can't reconnect until it's old entry has been removed.

If anybody knows of a way to lower this timeout to something more reasonable, (like 10 seconds) that would be awesome. I've been looking through the SDK but I haven't been able to find anything like that.

Maybe somebody knows how to manually generate a disconnect message from the client side. That way it could always send a disconnect after it has been rebooted but before it tries a new connection.