Using the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266 and found bugs, report them here

Moderator: igrr

By rudy
#59449 The problem is that you think a piece of wire is a perfect conductor. It isn't. You need short wire connections between the power connections on the ESP8266 and the Capacitors (plural) that are acting as bypass capacitors and you should have as short a connection to the regulator. The 100uF capacitor is not adequate for providing the bypass requirements at high frequencies (fast current spikes). The power connections need to be close and low impedance.

I am satisfied with your new title as it is accurate.

I have worked continuously since 1985 designing electronic products. PCB design is a major component to my work. It is more than a connection of lines on a schematic. Lots of times people can get away with a marginal design. Sometimes things will crash and there is no discernible reason. So patches are put in place in software that help to recover, but the root cause is still there. My designs need to be as good as possible because of the numbers of products shipped. I have learned, sometimes painfully, about what can be done and what should be done.

I have no problem with the point to point resistor wiring. But I believe that the cause of your problems is the interconnections on the power lines, and the lack of adequate bypassing.

Buy yourself a decent board for development. I'm sure that you will not need 5 volts on the module to get it to program properly.
By Joe Job
rudy wrote:The problem is that you think a piece of wire is a perfect conductor. It isn't. You need short wire connections between the power connections on the ESP8266 and the Capacitors (plural) that are acting as bypass capacitors and you should have as short a connection to the regulator. The 100uF capacitor is not adequate for providing the bypass requirements at high frequencies (fast current spikes). The power connections need to be close and low impedance.

I am satisfied with your new title as it is accurate.

I have worked continuously since 1985 designing electronic products. PCB design is a major component to my work. It is more than a connection of lines on a schematic. Lots of times people can get away with a marginal design. Sometimes things will crash and there is no discernible reason. So patches are put in place in software that help to recover, but the root cause is still there. My designs need to be as good as possible because of the numbers of products shipped. I have learned, sometimes painfully, about what can be done and what should be done.

I have no problem with the point to point resistor wiring. But I believe that the cause of your problems is the interconnections on the power lines, and the lack of adequate bypassing.

Buy yourself a decent board for development. I'm sure that you will not need 5 volts on the module to get it to program properly.

Well thank you that was not hard was it ;) So now I have something to play with. So by wire are you referering to the wire that comes from the programmer or power source, or the wires that have been soldered to GND and VCC, (which are incidentally the excess of the resistors).

RE capacitors, I have checked and so far the only advice I had been given on the capacitors in this instance were 100uF, what would you suggest to add in addition or replacement. Just to mention also on my perfboard designs there is no long wires at all, in this specific example there is two but they are the ones that are attached to the reed switch which is on GPIO4 now, was GPIO5.

RE the capacitor again, it is directly next to the point where power is connected to VCC and GND to GND, although there is wires before that from either the programmer or the regulator depending on which is being used. Thanks for providing some things to think about and try.

rudy wrote:I have no problem with the point to point resistor wiring. But I believe that the cause of your problems is the interconnections on the power lines, and the lack of adequate bypassing.

Again thanks, so, bypassing was mentioned above if you could share a specific suggestion I will try that, I have purchased many different capacitors etc so I should have what is required. Re the interconnections, not too sure what you mean, if you could elaborate, there is only one VIN so how would the other pins be connected to VCC if they were not connecting to same power line, if I have understood what you meant by that.

I wont be buying anything else, if this one chip cannot work on what has already been spent then that is enough.
By Joe Job
#59451 One other thing I have posted a few times, which I had a feeling about but no one has picked up on yet or mentioned about, is the fact even from the 3.3v programmer there is not actually 3.3v, could this be a reason why the 5v works, as in there is not enough power getting there in the first place. If so I am stumped as it is roughly the same voltage from both the programmer and the regulator.
By DAFlippers
#59452 Adam,

I do not think you have ever posted one post with out subsequently editing it.....

If you have never been advised to fit 0.1uF capacitor across the power rails as close to the device as possible then I will be shocked.

You will probably find that no one is helping you because you do not provide clear and concise information which is why I made the suggestions I made. If people ask for information then it is because what you have posted to date doesn't include what they are asking for. Telling people you have already given information doesn't provide that information no matter how many times you say it.

David