Using the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266 and found bugs, report them here

Moderator: igrr

By Ramv
#61371 I have a problem using NodeMcu Lua ESP8266 ESP-12E CH340G WIFI Internet Development Board Module with an Arduino IDE 1.8.1 running in a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B
(Rpi OS: "Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)")

when I connect the ESP-12 board to the Raspberry Pi USB port, I do not see any additional Port assigned and added - in addition to the existing Serial port "/dev/ttyAMA0"-
similar to the connection of an Arduino: I see an additional port ("/dev/ttyACM0") listed.

Subsequently, of course, I could not load the Sketch to the ESP2866
By gdsports
#61438 On my Linux PC, ESP8266 boards usually appear as /dev/ttyUSBn where n starts at 0. It is possible /dev/ttyACM0 is the correct device. The names depends on the ESP board.

If it still does not work you may have a bad or charge only USB cable. Try a different USB cable that is known to work in data transfer mode on another computer
By Ramv
#61444 Thank you very much for your correct diagnosis;
that the cable that I was using must have been "bad, or charge only" - as you have correctly pointed out.
And, on replacing the cable by another one, I did see a new port ("/dev/ttyUSB0"), and then I was able to load the Sketch successfully.

(I have forgotten to follow the adage "look for a simple" problem first; then again, all problem appear to be simple after having been solved!)

Again, Thank You very much, for your time, help, and concern.
- V. A. Ramanujam