Using the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266 and found bugs, report them here

Moderator: igrr

By martinayotte
#17030 I've tried to update my Arduino IDE setup few times since two weeks, but I've always bugs with newest code.
First, as I reported last week, the I2C seems to be broken at runtime. Today, I've faced a new issue : when Serial RX received a character, the watchdog is been triggered. And with today's tests, the I2C still broken at runtime. All those tests were done with my SketchBuffet, and when reverting my setup with version from end of March, everything is working fine again ...

Is there something I missed ? Is anyone got the latest and greatest setup working properly ?
By bernd331
#17622 Hi,

I made yesturday a new build with my Windows 7 64 Bit and Serial.Read works. This was my testing code:

Code: Select allextern "C" {
#include "user_interface.h"
}

int incomingByte = 0;

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
  Serial.println("Start...");
}

void loop() {

if (Serial.available() > 0) {
    // read the incoming byte:
    incomingByte = Serial.read();
    // say what you got:
    Serial.print("I received: ");
    Serial.print(incomingByte);
    Serial.println();
  }
}

I'm not an expert in building so to be realy sure: If you tell me how I can check that I have realy the newest version from Git, then tell me how, ans I will report.

BUT: I noticed also strange things. The ANALOGREAD function will deliver strange random values when I use the Arduino IDE build from Git. If I download the compiled Windows Arduino IDE from the Git page, the analogread function delivers perfect analogread values.

Additional: I use Visual Micro to write code. Works with the Git-build Arduino IDE perfect. Realy a great tool. But with the compiled Windows-Arduino-IDE, Visual Micro says "No compiler found". UPDATE: Withe the tips from here viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2391&p=16703&hilit=visual+micro#p16703 I was able to get Visual Micro and the precompiled Arduino-IDE from Git to work under Windows.

I think the things are in flow.... :)

Greetz, Bernd
By Chris--A
I'm not an expert in building so to be realy sure: If you tell me how I can check that I have realy the newest version from Git, then tell me how, ans I will report.

If you have cloned the repo using git or the github app, you can use "git pull" to grab the latest changes.
Then rebuilding the source will give you an up to date IDE and core. Otherwise you cold simply download the .zip and copy the core into your existing version.
By bernd331
#17679 Ok, then I have grabed the latest changes from git and rebild the latest Version. But as I said: This latest git version did not work with analogread. If I use the ZIP then analogread will work fine.