Using the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266 and found bugs, report them here

Moderator: igrr

By rafaelmd
#30893 Hi guys,

I am trying to use the ESP12E module to get the temperature from a sensor and send it to a webserver. I've written the code to do so and compiled it using the Arduino IDE 1.6.5 but, after a few weeks running smoothly, three of my modules stopped working with no apparent reason.

After some debugging, I found out that if I try to use any Wifi function, the module freezes and the wd resets it. This happens if I use any of the ESP8266Wifi example codes, not only for the code that I've written. The code runs up to the point where the Wifi function is called and then the module freezes and reboots.

My first thought was that I was having a hardware problem (maybe the rf part of the chip was damaged somehow (?)), but I tested the three modules with the nodeMCU firmware and they worked well: connected to an Wifi access point and sent data to a webserver.

Has anyone experienced something like this?

Some information that might be relevant:
- In my original code, I have a webpage stored in memory to allow the user to configure the ssid and password of the local Wifi network;

- I tried to turn off all the Wifi devices neraby (the problem could be due to conflict with other devices), but it didnt solve the problem

- The modules work fine for a long period of time if I upload a blink led code. It only freezes when I use the Wifi functions

any ideas will be appreciated,
Rafael Duarte

EDIT -----------------
Did another test and tried to compile the code selecting "Sparkfun ESP8266 Thing" and it worked!!!! I was using "NodeMCU 1.0 (ESP-12E Module) before..."

However, I still don't know what`s caused the problem in the first place. So, any ideas are still appreciated.