Using the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266 and found bugs, report them here

Moderator: igrr

By syalujjwal
#40308 In case the server is unavailable, the client.connect() takes too long to return false and come out of the block. This takes 1.5 secs approx. which is too long for my project. Is there a way to solve this problem? Can there be a timeout set in case the client cannot connect within N milli secs, the code will move on?
By mogul
#40926 I have a similar need.

Recently thingspeak.com had some issues which caused my client.connect calls to take several seconds before giving up.

My system is powered with a 0.47F cap and a really weak external power source, so it only have juice enough for approx 5 sec runtime. Waiting for a timeout causes voltage to drop too much, resulting in an unstable system.
By torntrousers
mogul wrote: My system is powered with a 0.47F cap and a really weak external power source, so it only have juice enough for approx 5 sec runtime. Waiting for a timeout causes voltage to drop too much, resulting in an unstable system.

Not commenting on the client.connect() question...but interested in your set up. Powered from a 0.47F capacitor - thats interesting! Can you say more about how you have it wired up and charged and what voltage gets to the ESP? Do you use sleep modes like light sleep or modem sleep to reduce the current consumption, and what sort of up time can it get?
By mogul
torntrousers wrote:
mogul wrote: My system is powered with a 0.47F cap and a really weak external power source, so it only have juice enough for approx 5 sec runtime. Waiting for a timeout causes voltage to drop too much, resulting in an unstable system.

Not commenting on the client.connect() question...but interested in your set up. Powered from a 0.47F capacitor - thats interesting! Can you say more about how you have it wired up and charged and what voltage gets to the ESP? Do you use sleep modes like light sleep or modem sleep to reduce the current consumption, and what sort of up time can it get?

I'm a bit behind the current iteration, but over here I try to document my adventure: http://www.robotrebels.org/index.php?topic=385.0

The current version (as of 2016-02-11) of the schematic shows a 1F cap (C4) on the output side of a XC6206P332MR vreg. I have in the mean time removed it and replaced that with a 0.47F cap right over the batteries. The 1F cap I have is only 5V, whereas the 0.47F cap is 10v.

Yes, I use deep sleep.