Using the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266 and found bugs, report them here

Moderator: igrr

By Greg Corson
#41393 I have an Adafruit Feather Huzzah ESP8266 board that freezes up about 350ms after booting for 1 second, then runs normally.

During the freeze no Arduino code executes, "loop" isn't called and if there is a loop running inside setup, it stops executing also. If you are using the servo library and have "attached" pins to it before the freeze, during the freeze the PWM outputs will change and after the freeze they go back to normal.

Here is a simple repro case:

Code: Select all// Case to reproduce hang during startup
void setup() {
  Serial.begin ( 115200 );
  Serial.println ( "" );
}

void loop() {
  if(millis() < 2000)
  {
      Serial.print(millis(),DEC);
      Serial.println(F(": running"));
  }
}

Here is an excerpt of what the output looks like during the freeze, you can see the roughly 1 second period when there is no output:

339: running
339: running
1226: running

This code doesn't show a problem on an Arduino UNO but does show it on my Feather HUZZAH ESP8266 board. I don't have eny other ESP boards to try it on.

Can anyone here try running this on a different ESP board to see if it does the same thing?

I'd really like to get this fixed because in my project the ESP and an external motor controller get powered up at the same time and the motor controller starts self-calibrating immediately. I need to set the PWM outputs to 1500us right away and have them stay there, right now when the freeze happens the PWM outputs change which messes up the calibration.