Arduino News here

Moderator: igrr

By Vicne
schufti wrote:download the .zip archive

Yes, one can indeed first install a 2.3.0 then patch it instead of installing from git. I needed those fixes so I already have a git version on my PC, but it's not just about me.
I regularly tell friends and colleagues about the ESP8266 and they go and install the current core package, but it's silly they will be getting sluggish download speeds while a 5-10x improvement fix is sitting in the tree for weeks or months now.
Moreover, a snapshot is not a release. If we advertise this method, it will make it harder for core developers to reproduce issues if people start using random snapshots instead of releases.
Also, users don't get any release notes or information about what changes are included.
Finally, releases should be tested and hopefully a bit more stable than snapshots...

I don't blame core developers of course. I have an immense respect for their hard work, and it is probably much more valuable to work on the ESP32 cores for Arduino.
It's just a pity that their hard work on the ESP8266 sits hidden on github...

Kind regards,

Vicne
By Me-no-dev
#56131 Since there are already some ESP32 modules out in the wild, we are in kind of hurry to get some sort of Arduino env out there and provide devs with familiar framework to experiment with the new chip.
I can happily say that most of the basics are already covered and there isn't much left to that initial release and to more time to spend on the 8266 :)