Arduino News here

Moderator: igrr

By rudy
schufti wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if soon after successful launch of esp32, esp8266 will be withdrawn ...

just my 2¢

From the Espressif website.
Our Commitment
Espressif provides a minimum longevity commitment of 12 years for a set of products listed below.

ESP8266 - 12 years from January 1s, 2014

I'm sure that the "Arduino" market is not a huge factor in Espressif's long range plans for the ESP8266. What they really are after is manufactures that use their products. And as a designer for an electronic controls manufacturing company the above statement is a strong one. One that made me consider designing in their part. If they didn't live up to that claim then I would be very reluctant to take a chance on any new product from them.

While I'm here for my own interests the company I work for does not use the Arduino IDE. I do consider the Arduino IDE as an entrypoint for a lot of future designers. It is in a chip manufacturer's interests to make it easy to get young talent interested in their products. Microchip is a good example of that. I started using early PIC parts in my designs and it has continued all this time.
By schufti
#60528 I didn't especially relate to arduino,
I have not yet tested the "wake-up" situation with pure sdk and C, but I doubt it would be different.
The wifi-flakyness is directly related to the sdk and just swinging between bad and worse.
The hw shortcome is "flaw by design" and can't be eleviated.

So the target for this chip as "platform/soc" is niche products with need for ip allthough not necessarily reliable, not really low-power but battery operation possible and not too sophisticated due to lack of special purpose i/o.

Granted, if used as "ip communications controller only (a.k.a. AT-fw)" it is still a cheap (if not the cheapest) solution; but a shame with respect to the wasted possibilities.
By mrburnette
... but a shame with respect to the wasted possibilities.

Evolution to the ESP32 taking up where the ESP8266 fell short. There is always room for more silicon.

But igrr did a really nice Arduino core, so I find the ESP8266 rather well-suited as a 32-bit contender in the Arduino non-WiFi area ... 160MHz at 80mA and 40mA for 80MHz... good amount of SRAM, IRAM cache, 4M of Flash. The NodeMCU is an excellent Arduino Board even with WiFi disabled.

Ray
By ittizius
schufti wrote:it is not that compilcated. Just:

a) download the .zip archive
b) find the 2.30 folder on your PC
c) replace all content with the new files from the archive EXCEPT platform.txt

this should bring you in line with the svn

Is this supposed to be a stable method?
I did just that and i got the same compilation errors with any sketch i tried to compile.

I have the latest IDE, on Win7 i copied into this folder:
C:\Users\Ittizius\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\2.3.0

Is that the 2.3.0 folder?