Arduino News here

Moderator: igrr

By sej7278
#15385 the firmware is uploaded with every arduino sketch, its not like nodemcu where you upload firmware and lua script separately.

like the regular arduino avr/sam support, a complete system image is built for flashing.

the esp8266 fork of the arduino ide and the installable "cores" all use sdk 1.0.0 at the moment, as 1.0.1 is a beta.

personally i prefer using this core: https://github.com/sandeepmistry/esp8266-Arduino instead of the full IDE port
By jwatte
ramsbod wrote:I am using a voltage divider on the TX and RX using 10MOhm and 20 MOhm resistors. I am not sure this is needed from the TX pin on the ESP to the RX pin on the Arduino.

First; 10 MOhm is way too much. 10 kOhm might work, especially for slow speeds. 1 kOhm is robust, but may waste a little bit of electricity. (And then 20 kOhm / 2 kOhm for the pin-to-ground part.)

For the ESP->Arduino side, you should not use a resistor between pin and ground, because this will just make the 3.3V out of the ESP even lower, and the Arduino is unlikely to see that signal at all.

In general, though, I'd recomend using a level shifter circuit. You can easily make one from an N-channel MOSFET, or you can buy one for a couple of bucks from Sparkfun or Adafruit (or on eBay.)
By PawnDrifter
sej7278 wrote:the firmware is uploaded with every arduino sketch, its not like nodemcu where you upload firmware and lua script separately.

like the regular arduino avr/sam support, a complete system image is built for flashing.

the esp8266 fork of the arduino ide and the installable "cores" all use sdk 1.0.0 at the moment, as 1.0.1 is a beta.

personally i prefer using this core: https://github.com/sandeepmistry/esp8266-Arduino instead of the full IDE port

I am new to both environments, so forgive me if I ask a realy simple question or two.

1. Thank you for clarifying that the Arduino will flash a complete system image. That went right by me. So, that removes any NodeMCU/Lua firmware that was resident already? (I'm guessing yes, and thought I confirmed on another thread here, but the Arduino github comments say it works with Lua also. I don't understand how that could be so.)

2. Is the choice to install the official Arduino IDE 1.6.4 (or better) vs the Sandeepmistry core? If so, what Arduino IDE versino would you install the Sandeep Mistry core into? His site states 1.6.0 or later - but would it interfere with 1.6.4 having esp8266 suport also?

Thanks,
PD